For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM!
10-10-2019, (Subject: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM! ) 
RE: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM!
(10-10-2019 )eggtrucks Wrote:  
(10-10-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Same with your brake chambers and slack adjusters, been there and done that, still suffering physically from that brake chamber event down at Rawze's.

What was the brake chamber event???

The brake chamber event... Oh God... Prior to heading to Rawze's house for that in frame, I had the passenger side front drive axle brake chamber fail. I was under a load, and had to have it fixed ASAP. As is normal, I was right there at my favorite local TA truck stop in Dexter MI when it gave way. I only had one replaced, instead of both on that axle...

Wound up in Georgia at Rawze's literally two weeks later, after installing a new air compressor on my motor, dead of winter in my Michigan driveway, froze my rear end off... I had bigger fish to fry at that point, blown head gasket, blown air compressor and air dryer. That brake chamber was the last thing on my mind...

Made it to Rawze's house, completed the in frame, went to test drive the truck, it is summer now, LOL... We were heading South on I-75 just North of Jackson GA, where the truck stops are, when BANG! SLAM! SHIIIIIT!

Pulled to the shoulder, Rawze was pissed, LOL! We had no tools to speak of, both took turns trying to back off the broken chamber... We were jumping all around, I twisted my knee pretty good jumping out of the truck... We got her fixed, Rawze put some hot sauce on it and we were rolling...

That event took out four tires, and of course the brake chamber... It was a mess. We went and serviced the truck at Speedco, that is where we were headed when the chamber blew apart... Got her back to Rawze's and drank beer. Rawze ran me up to Global Truck Parts the next day, bought all new plug and play Haldex brake chambers, a complete set of Meritor slack adjusters, all new air brake lines, etc.

I took the truck to Western Tire, up the road from Rawze's house, had them install everything along with four new tires, etc. AND I was not about to get back under that truck! LOL! Anyways, that was one expensive test ride...

Like I said, one chamber goes, replace both, or all six if need be. If they are old, and one fails, the rest are sure to follow, and in my case, it did. It was around a $4000 ordeal when all said and done. Not the way to end my stay at Rawze's house, and my knee is still a mess.
replyreply
Waterloo prophesied all my problems.
See what I have in recent time.
Indiana, night, flooding rain, morning delivery and 200 miles to go. Viper motor is out.
Pennsylvania friday 17:55. Dealership will close door at 18:00 for the weekend. Got new turbo actuator. Now I need to calibrate and install, Inline adapter quit working.
New Mexico deepest hole town Roswell. Had a good sleep, two hours to pickup appointment, time to turn reefer on - HMI module screen vent out of synchronization. Can't read anything another $1400. Yesterday noticed batteries going down too fast, probably self discharge because everything was off.
Today fuel line to one side was snapped out by something in WY.
OMG I'm almost home.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Snail, I feel your pain...And I say that from having actually been there, and you already know that.

Guys, get on it, by all accounts, already snowing in Denver, this is going to be one of those winters. Don't be a VICTIM.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
Oh, every days off I have to spend under truck. Momma wants some attention too.
replyreply
10-11-2019, (Subject: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM! ) 
Mr. Loo, you had better warm it up out there. I'm rolling out of Ohio towards Billings Montana for Monday. I don't want to see any snow out there. It's still too early for that. I want my brain to be in denial of winter until at least November.

I spent way into the wee hours of the morning securing, fastening, sealing everything I could find loose or unsecured. I topped off all fluids, stocked up on winter Rain-X and washer fluid, replaced some faulty wiring and pigtail sockets for my trailer axle dump valve cord, and replaced my headlights. All in preparation for heading north and west this time of year. I'll be damned if I want to be laying out in the frigid snow fixing and securing this crap if I don't have to.

Everything is 10 times harder to do when it's cold outside. I took advantage of a 60 degree night in a Walmart parking lot.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze
10-14-2019, (Subject: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM! ) 
Don't forget the air dryer. FWIW you might want to take a look at what you need to bypass it. Servicing them helps but I have seen new and rebuilt one fail shortly after install. Any of them can have a check valve or unloader valve stick or freeze open. Then you can't build up air. Several decades ago the unloader ports were tapped so a pipe plug could be put in to get you home. Not anymore. I guess "they" felt that a proper repair would never get made. So when its dry and warm take a look at what you need, fittings, a piece of hose etc. Actually do it so it will all come apart nice if you have to do it. Some can't be bypassed as the governor is plumbed right in.
replyreply
11-12-2019, (Subject: For the new guys, Winter is coming, Don't be a VICTIM! ) 
(10-10-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Tramec/Sloan 3-in-1 Wrap - 15ft Red & Blue Hose with Powder-Coated MAXXGrips & Sonogrip ABS

Part number 451204

https://tramecsloan.com/products/air-pro...ogrip-abs/

They are supposed to be made in the USA. I like mine, real solid, other than the pig tail curved end that goes to the trailer. Takes some getting used too, not much to grab on to there. For the money though, about the best price I could find. Everyone else was $200+ for the lines, and I still had to buy the glad hands. This was plug and play for $155, could not pass that up... The lines are a quality hose as far as I can tell and the glad hands are solid, really impressed for what I paid. I would purchase again.

Waterloo, how have these been holding up so far for you? On my pretrip yesterday, I noticed some very small splitting at the gladhand connection points, so it's time for me to pull the trigger on a 3in1 setup. I know you only had the air/electric combo for a short while, but do they still appear to be of good quality? How do they feel in the cold weather? Super stiff or decent amount of flexibility?
replyreply
(11-12-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  
(10-10-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Tramec/Sloan 3-in-1 Wrap - 15ft Red & Blue Hose with Powder-Coated MAXXGrips & Sonogrip ABS

Part number 451204

https://tramecsloan.com/products/air-pro...ogrip-abs/

They are supposed to be made in the USA. I like mine, real solid, other than the pig tail curved end that goes to the trailer. Takes some getting used too, not much to grab on to there. For the money though, about the best price I could find. Everyone else was $200+ for the lines, and I still had to buy the glad hands. This was plug and play for $155, could not pass that up... The lines are a quality hose as far as I can tell and the glad hands are solid, really impressed for what I paid. I would purchase again.

Waterloo, how have these been holding up so far for you? On my pretrip yesterday, I noticed some very small splitting at the gladhand connection points, so it's time for me to pull the trigger on a 3in1 setup. I know you only had the air/electric combo for a short while, but do they still appear to be of good quality? How do they feel in the cold weather? Super stiff or decent amount of flexibility?

So far very good, all lines are very flexible in the cold, still well worth the money in my book.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
What length are flatbed guys running? Right now I have the coil style, so they extend pretty far when 'extreme turning' lol.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.