Volvo d16 engine
10-11-2019, (Subject: Volvo d16 engine ) 
Volvo d16 engine
I have an opportunity to buy a Volvo 880 with a d16 600hp and an 18 speed from the company I'm leased to I'm not sure on the rears I haven't gotten all of the info from them on it yet... All I know is it just had an inframe before the owner of the company I am leased to decided to go to all owner op trucks... About 2 months ago... The truck itself has about 700xxx I believe and I was just curious if anyone on here knew anything about this engine I know when volvo came out with it it had problems... The bull gears are in the rear and had problems with them shearing off I believe along with other problems... He bought the truck brand new... Speced it himself and showed me the fuel receipts the lifetime fuel mileage is in the Low 7s roughly... And he ran from to Chicago to Cali and ran it hard... It has had alot done to it new clutch at inframe along with trans being gone thru and alot other it is a very nice truck... Any advice? Any info on this engine? Is there anyone here that demansates these? He has one with dpf and one without he had them both inframed at the same time just cause... I know they have been maintained very well... He pulled 7 trucks in and had them all inframed at the same time because he knew he was gonna sell them and figured he could get more with rebuilt engines he has more money than sense it seems like... I had a guy offer to buy my truck for more than I owe on it and it is very tempting to just let it go and start fresh... Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
replyreply
10-12-2019, (Subject: Volvo d16 engine ) 
RE: Volvo d16 engine
D16 is a good motor, they had issues with turbos but it was fixed by Holset in 2009. If you are doing american lighter spec weights then it may be over kill for you as the d12 is way better on fuel and the 880 with a d16 is very well known to be heavy on the steer axle.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
I would be concerned with who did the in frame, may be ticking tome bombs waiting to go off. And then he is wanting to go all owner operator, that tells me he is having cash flow issues or sees something else on the horizon that does not bode well for his business. As far as the Volvo, same as you have heard, those motors were problematic and not ready for prime time, no clue if there is a fix, and no way to safely de-mandate that I know of. I have no personal experience with that 600hp Volvo motor, just rumors/stories that I have heard.
replyreply
I know of one o/o with one, and he has regretted owning it. He can’t find any dealer who will take it as a trade in.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
The truck u have is already more profitable. - finish fixing it up nice like it should be and nothing will be able to touch it, nor will turn any more money long term.

-- a cow will always swear that the grass is greener somewhere else.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-12-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would be concerned with who did the in frame, may be ticking tome bombs waiting to go off. And then he is wanting to go all owner operator, that tells me he is having cash flow issues or sees something else on the horizon that does not bode well for his business. As far as the Volvo, same as you have heard, those motors were problematic and not ready for prime time, no clue if there is a fix, and no way to safely de-mandate that I know of. I have no personal experience with that 600hp Volvo motor, just rumors/stories that I have heard.

inframe was done at volvo... they installed updated head updated turbo and all other updates that fix most of the problems that they had he has several of them and one going on 400k that was done by the same dealer that has not had a single issue since... i didnt have all the info when i made the first post he did all those inframes 7 trucks at once... because they were all getting to the miles where they gonna need them soon on the dd15s he has and on the d16s becuase they were nothing but problems and wanted all the updates done... about a month later he started having problems with several drivers and decided to say screw it and get rid of all of the company drivers sell the trucks and trailers and be just owner op... he kept only 2 company trucks and he has 4 owner ops including me... he was tired of all the headaches.... they are all paid for and he told me flat out when i talked to him this morning... idc anymore i have 400k worth of equipment sitting on that yard right now and if someone offered me 250k or 300k id take it and write the rest off... he has 7 cascadias with dd15s in them 2 volvos with d16s and 15 new trailers sitting there... his exact words to me where if you decide you want one of these trucks and trailers ill finance them to you and we will do a payment that will work for you idc how long or how short you wanna make it thats up to you...
replyreply
(10-12-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  The truck u have is already more profitable. - finish fixing it up nice like it should be and nothing will be able to touch it, nor will turn any more money long term.

i was about to make another thread as to why im thinking about this... and you are totally right... the only reason im thinking about it is the hot start problem my truck has had since we got it is still there all new batteries all cables are good and had the starter checked by 2 different shops... this engine has to be siezing when i shut it off hot because when you let it cool down for 3 or 4 hours it starts right up like nothing but it wont even budge when hot... im at a loss on it... and still not enough money puller down and fix it... the guy that offered to buy knows of the problem
replyreply
Just remember this is a Cummins forum, so if you buy that Volvo you'll lose the knowledge and help that comes with this place and you'll be at the mercy of the dealers. Just something to consider.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(10-12-2019 )SIDE_SHOW Wrote:  
(10-12-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  The truck u have is already more profitable. - finish fixing it up nice like it should be and nothing will be able to touch it, nor will turn any more money long term.

i was about to make another thread as to why im thinking about this... and you are totally right... the only reason im thinking about it is the hot start problem my truck has had since we got it is still there all new batteries all cables are good and had the starter checked by 2 different shops... this engine has to be siezing when i shut it off hot because when you let it cool down for 3 or 4 hours it starts right up like nothing but it wont even budge when hot... im at a loss on it... and still not enough money puller down and fix it... the guy that offered to buy knows of the problem

if that is the case, you should be able to feel the differences in it when turning the engine by hand when it is acting up, and when it is not. Possibly where it is hanging up too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.