Volvo d16 engine
10-13-2019, (Subject: Volvo d16 engine ) 
RE: Volvo d16 engine
(10-12-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Just remember this is a Cummins forum, so if you buy that Volvo you'll lose the knowledge and help that comes with this place and you'll be at the mercy of the dealers. Just something to consider.

in my eyes this is much more than just a cummins forum... there is such a plethra of knowledge to be had on here on all sorts of topics...

i know its not ideal to go to a volvo but i can get the software for that engine the PTT one and be able to do most of the stuff that it would need myself being its a 2007 and is fairly straight forward...

i have read all of the bad thing on that engine but i was looking at the dates of the posts and they all stop around 2010 or so...

that is when volvo started getting them straight...

they earned a terrible rep and rightfully so with all the problems they had...

the people that i have talked to that actually own the engine till this day all say the same thing... they love it it was hell till volvo got it striaght but and hardly any issues since...

they all told me get the invoice for the inframe and make sure all the updated parts were used...

they used this engine in highway trucks overseas and it was one of the most reliable over there...

when volvo brought it stateside they had to try and make it epa freindly and just screwed the living hell out of it and it took years to fix...

i really dont want another truck and i am not totally decided i have the pros and cons weighing heavy on my mind right now...
replyreply
We’ve had four Volvo’s through out fleet over the years with the D16. 2007 was good. After that they all have had to replace the injectors every 18 months like clockwork.
Last guy has a 2016, just called me Friday. Had another injector fail. This will be his third set.
We do 140,000 lbs super b train hopper bottoms. They don’t stand up in heavy haul.
But guys doing lighter USA weights seem to have better luck.
replyreply
d16 was a pile of shi#t. If i see one more needed a set of injectors every 1 1/2 years ima cry. The software IS NOT readily available and updates about 3 times per month. The software IS NOT user friendly. The service manuals ARE NOT readily available, and the parts ARE NOT cheap and easily available. Good help on them IS NOT available.

like why? people who buy volvo's confuse me, same with mack's. just buying something to do the same job but be different and difficult just because? i call that being sadistic.

i dont understand people who are having trouble making it with a engine that help is available and they can fix it, think it will all be better with a engine that is known harder to fix/maintain. its like getting cut with a butterknife and being like "it will hurt less with a straight razor lets go that route"

lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(10-13-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  d16 was a pile of shi#t. If i see one more needed a set of injectors every 1 1/2 years ima cry. The software IS NOT readily available and updates about 3 times per month. The software IS NOT user friendly. The service manuals ARE NOT readily available, and the parts ARE NOT cheap and easily available. Good help on them IS NOT available.

like why? people who buy volvo's confuse me, same with mack's. just buying something to do the same job but be different and difficult just because? i call that being sadistic.

i dont understand people who are having trouble making it with a engine that help is available and they can fix it, think it will all be better with a engine that is known harder to fix/maintain. its like getting cut with a butterknife and being like "it will hurt less with a straight razor lets go that route"

lol

its not about WANTING to switch its the options i have...

i do not have the funds to fix the truck i have the way it needs to be...

not every one on here has an open line of credit or a stacked bank account... least of all me...

i am telling you now if this truck was paid for i would never even think about selling it but i cannot pay for it without running it and i have reached a point now where i cant run it without fixing it and i cant fix it without running it... so that leaves me where i am...

i dont have to paint you all a picture of where i am for you all to understand what looms on my horrizon if i keep on going the way im going and its not good... i need to get some money under my belt so i can start fresh...

this guy is giving me the opertunity to run the truck as a driver for a while to see how i like it and get some cash in the bank... and i can go another direction if i so choose and i believe that is the best option for me at the moment...
replyreply
Gonna be a hard truck to sell or trade in if you decide to buy something easier to make money with.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.