cm870 wont crank hot
10-12-2019, (Subject: cm870 wont crank hot ) 
cm870 wont crank hot
hello all another post on this truck i have been trying to straighten out...

after my trip to rawzes compund and doing all the work we did there along with cleaning all battery cables and 4 new batteries...

i still have a persistant hot start issue...

what happens is if you run a few hundred miles then stop let the oil cool down to 200 and then shut it down it will not start again it acts like the batteries are weak...pour 5 gallon of ice cold water on the starter still nothing will barely budge...

let it sit for 3 or 4 hours and it spins free...

we initially thought it was coroded cables and bad batteries a they were all nasty...

when i got home last week i took the starter off and had it checked by 2 different starter shops and they both had the same answer this starter is like new inside... and tests fine under loading...

so if not batts not cables and not starter what could it be?

i am thinking it may have a spun bearing or something becuase of this and my super high oi temps empty on flat ground oil will run 240+ with coolant at 204....

it has a good program in it by mommaburt and rawze...
replyreply
RE: cm870 wont crank hot
starter getting heat soaked by something?

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(10-12-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  starter getting heat soaked by something?

thats what i thought originally because the tube from the egr goes above it and it had a hole in it... when i did demandate we made sure that there was 0 flow thru that tube and none coming out of hole... also i can dump gallons and gallons of cold water on that starter to the point it is cold to the touch and makes no diff
replyreply
Why don't you drive it around and get it hot,then shut it off and start checking connections with a volt meter. You'll need someone to turn the key to the start position while you check to see if your getting power to the starter. If you have power to the starter and it isn't working then it's bad. If no power, start following wires. Really shouldn't be that hard to find. You might have a heat intermittent problem somewhere else.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
How are your injectors and cooling system? Could've sworn someone was here awhile ago with a similar issue and it ended up being leaking injectors.
replyreply
don't rule out something that a belt wraps around too like alternator, etc.

those high oil temps are worrying though. Crank or something else heating up and no longer running true?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Just as Rawze posted on your other post, get a 3/4" ratchet and turn it over by hand when its hot and won't start. That'll narrow down whether its in the electrical side or internal engine.
replyreply
How's your oil pressure when hot?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Is the oil making the coolant hot or the coolant making the oil hot?

Have you tried turning the engine by hand when it is hot and starter won't turn it?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.