CM870 Mystery pieces
10-15-2019, (Subject: CM870 Mystery pieces ) 
CM870 Mystery pieces
I needed to replace my oil pan over the weekend. Imagine my surprise to find these little gems hiding in the bottom.

The gravel is also perplexing, but I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can shed any light on where the threaded pieces might have come from?

My history with this truck is only about 4 years, so no telling how long they've been bouncing around. Also picked several bits of metal and stone out of the pickup screen.

replyreply
RE: CM870 Mystery pieces
Holy smokes. Are you sure someone isn't messing with you??

I don't know how all that could be in there. That's just crazy.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
Someone definitely dropped those stones down into the pan through the oil fill tube. There's no other way they could get in there. Was it a fleet truck? Maybe a disgruntled driver?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Is that my harmonica? I wonder where that went...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , hhow55 , Andre_The_Giant , ZeroNthedark
Some guesses
Red thing looks like gasket for front gear cover
Brown plastic is from engine brake harness where it plugs onto the solenoid
A needle bearing?
replyreply
flat piece is part of a old style cam retainer washer.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark
10-16-2019, (Subject: CM870 Mystery pieces ) 
The gravel you found are a form of kidney stones, very common in the 870 motor, they tend to appear as the motor ages. You really need to watch where you purchase fuel, a good dose of cranberry juice with every other fuel stop may be in order. If the stones persist, you may need to get the truck to a certified Cummins urologist to properly diagnose... I am sure Mr Hagg or Unilever can point you in the right direction. Not something to mess with, and your truck will thank you. ;-)

Sorry, could not resist.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ZeroNthedark
I’m really curious about those stones. Seen pretty much the same thing doing an overhead and it was off to one side on the head.
Not a normal looking rock, sort of polished and extremely hard. Has me puzzled.
replyreply
(10-15-2019 )marek4792 Wrote:  A needle bearing?

Actually, it looks like a very small roll pin. Also, full of rocks too!!

(10-15-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Someone definitely dropped those stones down into the pan through the oil fill tube. There's no other way they could get in there. Was it a fleet truck? Maybe a disgruntled driver?

My personal truck, parked in driveway every night.

And I'm very careful about oil changes, never done by anyone but me since I got it.

(10-16-2019 )redbeard Wrote:  I’m really curious about those stones. Seen pretty much the same thing doing an overhead and it was off to one side on the head.
Not a normal looking rock, sort of polished and extremely hard. Has me puzzled.

This is a dump truck and I do go in a bunch of stone yards on a regular basis. When taking the valve cover off, I always make sure to spend some time with blow gun up there, but maybe someone in the past wasn't so careful?? That was my first thought.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.