2013 isx 15 loud howling/whine?
03-07-2022, (Subject: 2013 isx 15 loud howling/whine? ) 
RE: 2013 isx 15 loud howling/whine?
(10-16-2019 )JeepnSammys Wrote:  I have a 2013 pete 367 that has a loud howling whining noise. It only happens once the engine is warmed up it starts coming on slowly and softly at first then once its warmed up after an hour or so it comes on loud and strong and remains like that the rest of the day but only at higher rpms never at a idle. if im driving down the road at 65 mph its very load (drowns out radio and road noise) if i let off the throttle it has a short lag time then goes away same when i step on the throttle it has short lag time then comes right back. i notice it comes and goes at highway speed if im going down hill and seems if motor is not calling for any boost it goes away even if rpms stay the same. once it has begun making this noise i can get it to do it when parked by idling up the engine to 1300-1500 rpm. Sounds like its coming from rear drivers side of engine by the firewall but could just be one of them noises that travel around cause other people that hear it say its coming from other areas? I have some turbo chuffing sounds from time to time not sure that has anything to do with this loud howling noise but thought id throw that out there thanks for any help

This sounds just like a known fuel pump problem. I have seen this on a few trucks now that have common rails and the high-pressure fuel pump on them.

The sound is that of a medium pitched "hum" .. that sounds similar to scowling sound mixed with something similar to someone blowing air across the top of a plastic or metal bottle.. but much louder. The pitch does not change with rpm at all.. it is definitely a sound from under the engine... it does not come and go with boost pressure, but it does occur when getting on the throttle and lingers even after letting off of it. The tone is rather steady and tends to linger .. especially once the engine is warmed up, etc... and as it gets worst over time, it will even keep doing it at idle for a bit then fade away.

This is a known issue with the high pressure fuel system, one particular fuel line vibrating and causing this, and it gets worse over time because it wears out the washers under fittings, and wears out the retainer for the line too.

here is the line that hums ...

(click image to see it larger).

(credit goes to Mr. hag for helping to find this issue on some trucks, and sharing the info with me).

Tags:
fuel pump houl, fuel pump moan, fuel pump whine, medium pitched whine, whine under hood

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
03-19-2022, (Subject: 2013 isx 15 loud howling/whine? ) 
RE: 2013 isx 15 loud howling/whine?
^----- This would certainly make sense as to why my humming went away when I changed the low side of the High pressure pump. New O-rings were installed and maybe I caught the issue before the banjo fittings were damaged.

- Hadn't noticed this post before.....good info and thanks for sharing. I'm sure many of us with these systems have experienced this howl.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.