state sales tax exemption?
06-15-2016, (Subject: state sales tax exemption? ) 
state sales tax exemption?
getting close to finally paying my 65K truck note off, only 4 more notes! SO, as the time gets closer i know that i will be responsible for an EXCISE TAX or a SALES TAX of some kind. Well here in Louisiana the sales tax is about 10.9% or so... (the price we pay for having no PROPERTY TAX!)

so im looking at about $6500, to do the title transfer and etc... I've been researching ways to register my company with the state for sales tax exemptions and etc... Normally, i would probably just pay the money and be done with it but recently i just paid cash for my house and land so... im not quite stocked as i have been... just looking for ways to be creative and see if any of you have registered with your state to be exempt for these type of CASH grabs... I also have a 48' flatbed titled in my name, the title is a Georgia titled where i once lived, but to transfer it here the DMV wants to tax the VALUE of the trailer again!!! they've said Georgia will give me a 6% tax credit, leaving me with a 4% TAX on my already TITLED trailer!

what are my options besides the obvious? i know some people don't bother with even transferring titles ever, or for a while... seems like that would complicate 2290 fillings, insurance and etc... I'm still researching this but what is yall's experience on this matter?

Thanks in advance, and safe trails...
replyreply
RE: state sales tax exemption?
Do you have any friends,or family in Texas ?
In Texas, we don't pay any sales or excise tax, as long as vehicle is used in interstate commerce
But be careful, some counties, like Harris County has personal property tax
The county I reside in, Jefferson county, has no property tax. When you register in my county, you simply pay a small registration fee. I think it's $33.00

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(06-15-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  Do you have any friends,or family in Texas ?
In Texas, we don't pay any sales or excise tax, as long as vehicle is used in interstate commerce
But be careful, some counties, like Harris County has personal property tax
The county I reside in, Jefferson county, has no property tax. When you register in my county, you simply pay a small registration fee. I think it's $33.00

Wow. That county is great for business! That must be a huge relief.... Well no address' I could use in TX... It's crazy because I had to bring state law to my DMV the other day because they were wrong about me having to get finger prints for a state change CDL with HAZ-mat... So I already know they will tax me if I don't come with state law, or some expemption status of some kind... Lol crazy the amount of people they get over on, and most people just pay... But thanks
replyreply
Look into forming an llc, and transferring your assets into the llc
I think the best are Nevada or Delaware
This might save you some money

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock
06-16-2016, (Subject: state sales tax exemption? ) 
In Michigan we are tax exempt, we call it "Rolling Stock". Still pay FET, but no state taxes if truck related, tires, parts, etc. You do need a business, LLC or Corp along with an EIN number.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock
02-02-2017, (Subject: state sales tax exemption? ) 
Update to this: I did find a Louisiana rolling stock exemption for trucks that travel more than 80% of its miles outside the state of Louisiana

Exemption goes for truck and trailer
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.