Rubber brake line replacement
10-19-2019, (Subject: Rubber brake line replacement ) 
Rubber brake line replacement
I know this isn't a vintage truck forum, but...

I got the collector plate for my '89 379 Pete in the mail today. After putting that on, and peeling the DOT numbers off the doors, I started looking through everything to be able to drive it again

All the rubber air lines look bad. Some look like they are original with a woven cover that's cracking apart, others have been replaced but are cracking. Some of the fittings have been changed too. Found a galvanized plumbing elbow that I hadn't noticed before. Everything is rotted (Funny-I originally typed "rotted" but with an 'n' in stead of a 'd' at the end. The forum must think that is a bad word so changed it to 'terrible')

So basically I need to replace everything from the chambers to the hard lines, all hoses, valves, and fittings on all three axles

#1- All the lines I took off have a female flare connection. Most of what I'm seeing online have a male pipe thread end. Is that what is used now? Even though it's now a 'collector vehicle' I don't need to keep it original. I'd rather replace it all with the current standard

#2- I'm also not finding Tees similar to what was on there. They're aluminum and have a mounting flange. The back axle is just a single 1/2" NPT supply and 3/8" NPT x2 delivery but the front is double that, in one manifold

#3- The brake chambers are miss-matched on the very back axle. Is that an issue?

*numbered questions to make it easier*
replyreply
10-19-2019, (Subject: Rubber brake line replacement ) 
RE: Rubber brake line replacement
#2 the tees were probably made for peterbilt in 89 not a common item

#3 they can be mismatched brands as long as their all the same stroke.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott
10-20-2019, (Subject: Rubber brake line replacement ) 
If those air lines are bad, odds are so are those brake chambers. I would go through everything if you plan on driving it, slack adjusters, S cams, etc. No telling on the valves either, they may need to be replaced too, especially if the truck has sat like you said. Oh, and the u joints in the driveline, lot rot will destroy those in short order if they were not heavily greased before parking. Carrier bearing too. Been there, done that.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
10-20-2019, (Subject: Rubber brake line replacement ) 
Good to know

The chambers on the R/R axle have different length shafts. Those should match right?

Looking at the build sheet the brake chambers had two different part numbers. Peterbilt 03-04825 and 03-04824. I can't find a cross reference to tell what the difference is or which were on the F/R axle or the R/R
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.