What would you have done differently??
11-12-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
(11-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  A 42’ long pipe i could have six straps all within the first three feet and be legal

I get what your saying here. I see the exaggeration. But no it's not legal nor is it safe. Please don't post such sarcastic crap that someone could take literally. These posts live on after you move on. I want people to learn from this.

I know, but I get tired of drivers regurgitating this stuff. I posted an example 2-3 pages back of a bridge beam on a dolly. Unless they get an exemption somehow they usually have 4-6 chains on the front, nothing for 40-50 feet, then 4-6 chains on the back dolly

I’ll say it another way- the 42’ pipes I have on, I could put three straps on each end within the first five feet of each end, and be legal. Still a total of six straps, yet 30’ of pipe with no straps in the middle.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
(01-02-1970 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I know, but I get tired of drivers regurgitating this stuff. I posted an example 2-3 pages back of a bridge beam on a dolly. Unless they get an exemption somehow they usually have 4-6 chains on the front, nothing for 40-50 feet, then 4-6 chains on the back dolly

I’ll say it another way- the 42’ pipes I have on, I could put three straps on each end within the first five feet of each end, and be legal. Still a total of six straps, yet 30’ of pipe with no straps in the middle.

Specialized equipment.
Some loads have different requirements, because the "standard" doesn't fit. Hard to tie a load every 10' on a dolly when there's nothing under the load to tie it to.
Technically, nothing I do is legal. I operate with a different mentality.
Dollies are the same...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
This pulled directly from fmcsa securement page.

Special Rule for Special Purpose Vehicles

Generally, the basic rules concerning the minimum number of tiedowns do not apply to a vehicle transporting one or more articles of cargo such as, but not limited to, machinery or fabricated structural items (e.g., steel or concrete beams, crane booms, girders, and trusses, etc.) which, because of their design, size, shape or weight, must be fastened by special methods. However, any article of cargo carried on that vehicle must be secured adequately to the vehicle by devices that are capable of meeting the performance requirements and the working load limit requirements.

Hammerhead is special.
replyreply
(11-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Hammerhead is special.

Short bus, window lickin special!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
11-15-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 

I snagged a quick pic once I got the tarps off.

The other trick I’ve heard is to put a piece of wood going vertically in between each pipe, or a t-block to achieve the same thing. But, as far as I understand it, the goal is to turn the individual pipes into one big bundle. The risk is the outer pipes might be held down by the over the top straps, but the middle ones are loose in a hard brake

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
11-15-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
yeah thats loose we pipe we dont do any that we do all palletized pipe even the big 10" black iron pipe we haul time to time is palletized

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s - skateboarder
replyreply

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication