What would you have done differently??
10-25-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
I have winch rails on both sides also 10 winches on each side of trailer

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
I have no dog in this fight, i am not a flat-bed guy but here is what I see as an outsider...

Just looks like if this one weld were to break -- due to excess stress in an accident, or extreme cold weather and the high tension placed on a hot-snot-aluminum weld, etc... that whole chain is going to jump violently out over to the opposite side of the trailer and into the roadway. The hook is upside down if the weld lets go...

Just seems to me that there is no way in hell that more than a few hundred pounds of load rating could be relied on at this point where it is secured. -- sure that chain is beefy, but that is not the weak point here by any means. It is that aluminum, cheesy, mig-welded stand-off that has absolutely nowhere near the holding power if that chain that is obvious in this picture. - I can only hope that no one expects that thing to hold the same load rating as the chain does in this photo. hopefully, at this point where it is secured, the load will never exert more than a few hundred pounds of force in an emergency. - Otherwise, someone is in for a very rude awakening one day.

Securing the Lighter stuff, I can understand, but often, I see stuff like that on heavy coils and steel that can kill people in a hurry scares me when I see someone do that.

- just my own thoughts on it, I cringe when I see the heavier stuff secured like that but I am also not a flat bed guy either.

if I Owned a trailer with rub rails on them like this, and wanted to use them for securement, even of medium duty,... I would go back and cut out every one of them and install some large grade-8 or better long-bolt studs + washers +m a backing plate under the trailer and replace those aluminum standoffs to ensure they could never come loose under high tension. -- OR, at the very least, if those standoffs are hollow (god forbid that is even worse, I am assuming they are not), out some large, long-bolts through them to strengthen them enough they could be somewhat relied on.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Pretty sure the standoffs are Hallow like exhaust pipe they are thick Walled unlike exhaust but they do stand and the possibility of being crushed. Every component of the rub rail is built to protect the bed of the trailer

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Ya, we have to rely on the manufacturer of the trailer to mark the WLL of what they allow as attaching points. It's almost always the weakest point in securement. But its the best we can work with. If you alter these points your also taking on liability if something should fail. We have to trust they did the proper testing to know what the limits are.

It at least gives us an actual number to work with and not exceed.

I don't believe the spools are hollow. I believe they're square stock aluminum. I never liked the welding they do on them. I think it's cost cutting when they don't weld all 4 sides. But then again I don't know what goes in to testing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , smorgan87
I've never cut into one to know if they're solid, but I think the little square ones may be. I do know that they hold up to 8k or so of upward pull easily - I used a chain on 2 spools to lift and swing the back of my Manac onto some cribbing. But vertical pull is way different than horizontal. I have a stake pocket broken loose when a fairly small log rolled over onto an unchained pipe stake.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Today's new load 48,011lbs of square tube I don't know of or have any gear that can stop forward move with this type of load. Little over 20 ft of deck space used. 3 bellies 6 over the top and my fat ass bouncing on the cheater bar to tighten them down.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

Today’s junk to get me home. I’ve never hauled this stuff before

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
Gratz on joining the home club mine's going about 80 miles from the house on Monday morning with 0 out of route

replyreply
DDlight, your still only using half the pocket. Use the whole pocket or it doesn't count. A single side of the pocket has 0 rating.

Lonestar10, just watch those top bundles. I've tarped loads like that just to keep center pieces from shooting out. Im also not against running a belly strap or 2 around that entire top row bundles together. I'd be willing to bet good $$ that even with all those straps as tight as you can have them, you can still go up and easily push a bunch of that tubing out with your hand. Its something to be aware of. Tubing of any sort is like Jenga. There are always pieces in the middle that are loose. I've had them shoot forward on me and also walk backwards right out of the bundle. I've said it before, I hate hauling tubing! It's some of the worst unsafe things to haul.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , fargonaz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.