What would you have done differently??
10-25-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
(10-25-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  DDlight, your still only using half the pocket. Use the whole pocket or it doesn't count. A single side of the pocket has 0 rating.

I could have sworn I've seen someplace that it was rated to hook on the pocket, but my East manual shows it hooked to the chain also - albeit, only using on side of the pocket...

./uploads/201910/post_2789_1572043623_250ef1664e55b3413bbb9476730e7ab3.jpg
replyreply
I would have liked to actually rap the straps are on the top pile but that particular place does not allow you to get on top of the trailer in any way shape or form when you get a tarp load there they have a machine that puts your tarp over top along with some plastic and then you have to for your back bungees you have to lock several together and walk around the front and back of the trailer. they put any padding on while they're loading you put the padding on the pieces that they're putting on. Some driver at some point had fallen off their trailer and broke their neck since then the safety manager went just full retard mode and you just you can't touch the top of the trailer at all with anything but your hands and arms

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Nostalgic,
I believe that is what they call 4 points of contact when it comes to wrapping around that securement point. In the picture you have the chain touching 2 points (or corners) on the spool and 2 points (or ends) on the pocket. That gives you the 4 points. 2 points will take the stress when moved in one direction, the other 2 points will take the stress when pulled in the other direction. Its the same reasoning why WLL are different from direct connection (half of indirect) and indirect connection(double direct). Direct takes all the force all the time, indirect trades off or shares stress between 2 points.

The WLL of using a pockt and spool is often different than using just the pocket alone.

The way DDlight is attaching to them is 1 or at best 2 points directly to one side of the pocket. Its not pocket & spool or just pocket WLL rating. Its only half a pocket. Which has no rating.
replyreply
(10-25-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Some driver at some point had fallen off their trailer and broke their neck since then the safety manager went just full retard mode and you just you can't touch the top of the trailer at all with anything but your hands and arms

Ya, a lot if places are going that way. They're half justified in doing it but ya, full retard is fitting when the absolutely won't let you get on the trailer unless your off their property. It nonsensical to me. So I take the approach of I have Federal laws governing that Im in charge of that load. And a duty to myself and the public to ensure its secured appropriately. So they can scream all they want and never let me back on their property but I'll be damned, I will crawl up there and do my job.
replyreply

I wouldn’t have had enough chain to be able to go around the stake pocket completely.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply

I guess I like doing it that way so it leaves enough chain you can grab onto it again. Or you can use one stake pocket for two tie downs

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
Nostalgic, is that the actual securement diagram that came with the trailer? That's the 1st time I've seen securement to only one side of the pocket. (3rd picture down) All the pics and training I had said that you wrap the whole pocket. Maybe things are different on some trailers.
replyreply
(10-25-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Nostalgic, is that the actual securement diagram that came with the trailer? That's the 1st time I've seen securement to only one side of the pocket. (3rd picture down) All the pics and training I had said that you wrap the whole pocket. Maybe things are different on some trailers.

Yep. Everything is rated @6600, with exception of J Hook, which is 7200. JHook with strap is 5400, which doesn't make any sense if you used one of the super straps. Also had to peel off the stickers saying not to use the rub rail. I made it 2 months before they had to go. I've had to use the pocket winch once now on the rub rail also - sometimes there's only one option, and it stinks.

Yeah, I could have loaded them back further, but this was first on, last off partial from Tacoma to Philly and I wanted to save every inch of the deck possible.
replyreply
10-26-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
So East trailers rate the single side of the pocket but not the rub rail. My Reitnouer trailer rates the whole pocket and also rates the rub rail. I guess it goes to show that you need to know your equipment. Don't just assume every trailer is the same. This exactly why the industry is confused all the time. Everything you run in to is different. Nothing is uniform to quickly know what to use, how to use and if its in good condition or not. It's a constant learning and questioning game.

Did those Tag or Pup axles ride alright using straps? Things with pneumatic wheels are ranked up there with the things that suck to haul. They bounce and the tire pressures change with temp changes. I've broke a chain or 2 when hauling wheeled Cummins generators out to Minnesota. I often let air out of the tires to secure them better.

Also Nostalgic, your the 1st guy I've seen ever use those portable pocket winches. I think I still have 3 or 4 laying around. I bought them and never found a need to use them they now just take up space in the shop.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.