What would you have done differently??
11-12-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
(11-11-2019 )ynot Wrote:  Continued.....

So for anybody reading this 2 huge tips for hauling styrofoam.

1. Always always cross strap the back its a bitch too get it too stay but well worth it an needed.

2. Throw a smoke tarp whether the customer asks for one or not, it stops wind from blowing through the stacks an upsetting an shifting everything an making your life a 1000% times easier

Most of the shippers on the east coast make you fully tarp or smoke tarp styrofoam. One shipper close to me uses mesh tarps for plastic protection and to keep the load together. I have a set of 6' drop mesh tarps. I used to carry them because they also satisfy a lot of other shippers needs of tarping load because all the shipper wants is the packaging to stay intact. Mesh tarps are cheap and REALLY light. They maybe something for a guy that pulls such loads a lot, to look into.
replyreply
I don't have any real close up pics of the securement on these loads.
The new bucket is 14'4"W x 13'10"H x 18'L and weighs 109,000lbs (height is OTG, on the ground. Actual loaded height was 15'10".

The used bucket is 15'W x 14'H x 19'L and weighs 122,000lbs.

Both buckets were hauled on my rail/beam, so the actual under the load trailer width is 44"! This is a California legal 9 axle trailer, so it's lively! What does that mean? It rock and rolls constantly, so much so that heading north out of Vegas with the used one, the Lamborghini passing me slowed down to take pics/video of the load.
Each load had sixteen 1/2" chains with direct contact securement.

[attachment=5753]

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
The used one...

This is the machine they attach to...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(11-12-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Its 2 for any item over 5FT long or over i 1100 lbs that is not blocked. but when you get into something of considerable length hes correct in stating for the length of a 42' item its 2 in the first 10 ft then 1 every 10 thereafter.

so examples

1 Pallet 3 Ft Long under 1100lbs - 1 strap blocked or not

1 Pallet 3 ft long over 1100lbs - 2 straps is not blocked 1 strap if blocked

1 Pallet 9 Ft long under 1100lbs - 2 straps unblocked 1 strap blocked

10 ft is the magical number that changes things any pallet 10FT or longer requires 2 in first 10 1 every 10 there after.

1 Pallet 50ft long weight isnt considered - 6 straps 2 in the first 10ft 1 every 10ft there after. or as many straps as it takes to cover the weight of the load for forward/up/backward movement percentages.

if a pallet is say over 10ft by just 6 inches...a DOT offerent can ticket you for not having a 3rd strap as the first 2 straps only cover the 10ft you need a 3rd for those wonderful 6inches or more after the 10ft.
It’s 1 strap FOR every 10 feet thereafter

You don’t need one at every literal 10 foot mark

A 42’ long pipe i could have six straps all within the first three feet and be legal

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
(11-12-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  A 42’ long pipe i could have six straps all within the first three feet and be legal

I get what your saying here. I see the exaggeration. But no it's not legal nor is it safe. Please don't post such sarcastic crap that someone could take literally. These posts live on after you move on. I want people to learn from this.
replyreply
(11-12-2019 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I don't have any real close up pics of the securement on these loads.
The new bucket is 14'4"W x 13'10"H x 18'L and weighs 109,000lbs (height is OTG, on the ground. Actual loaded height was 15'10".

The used bucket is 15'W x 14'H x 19'L and weighs 122,000lbs.

Both buckets were hauled on my rail/beam, so the actual under the load trailer width is 44"! This is a California legal 9 axle trailer, so it's lively! What does that mean? It rock and rolls constantly, so much so that heading north out of Vegas with the used one, the Lamborghini passing me slowed down to take pics/video of the load.
Each load had sixteen 1/2" chains with direct contact securement.

What would I have done differently if I was hauling it? Hmmm... Not kidding, I probably would've hired this Hamerhead fellow to crawl out from wherever he's put himself and instruct me on how the hell you move such pieces. Including him riding in truck with me the whole trip.

I'd say your on the front lines of semi-uncharted territory with a lot of your loads. I love seeing what all you get into. It'd be cool to see you start up a thread that you just showed what all you move. How it was done and problems you faced. You do a very fascinating job.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(11-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  
(11-12-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  A 42’ long pipe i could have six straps all within the first three feet and be legal

I get what your saying here. I see the exaggeration. But no it's not legal nor is it safe. Please don't post such sarcastic crap that someone could take literally. These posts live on after you move on. I want people to learn from this.

I know, but I get tired of drivers regurgitating this stuff. I posted an example 2-3 pages back of a bridge beam on a dolly. Unless they get an exemption somehow they usually have 4-6 chains on the front, nothing for 40-50 feet, then 4-6 chains on the back dolly

I’ll say it another way- the 42’ pipes I have on, I could put three straps on each end within the first five feet of each end, and be legal. Still a total of six straps, yet 30’ of pipe with no straps in the middle.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
(01-02-1970 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  I know, but I get tired of drivers regurgitating this stuff. I posted an example 2-3 pages back of a bridge beam on a dolly. Unless they get an exemption somehow they usually have 4-6 chains on the front, nothing for 40-50 feet, then 4-6 chains on the back dolly

I’ll say it another way- the 42’ pipes I have on, I could put three straps on each end within the first five feet of each end, and be legal. Still a total of six straps, yet 30’ of pipe with no straps in the middle.

Specialized equipment.
Some loads have different requirements, because the "standard" doesn't fit. Hard to tie a load every 10' on a dolly when there's nothing under the load to tie it to.
Technically, nothing I do is legal. I operate with a different mentality.
Dollies are the same...

replyreply
This pulled directly from fmcsa securement page.

Special Rule for Special Purpose Vehicles

Generally, the basic rules concerning the minimum number of tiedowns do not apply to a vehicle transporting one or more articles of cargo such as, but not limited to, machinery or fabricated structural items (e.g., steel or concrete beams, crane booms, girders, and trusses, etc.) which, because of their design, size, shape or weight, must be fastened by special methods. However, any article of cargo carried on that vehicle must be secured adequately to the vehicle by devices that are capable of meeting the performance requirements and the working load limit requirements.

Hammerhead is special.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.