What would you have done differently??
10-22-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
What would you have done differently??
I figured i'd post this mainly for flatbed94kid since he's always asking question on loading different things an getting himself a gentle spanking on what too do an not too do. So ill take one for the team too help with everybody learning more an ask what would you guys have done differently if anything.

So i loaded crane parts, originally i was supposed too grab a 10ft wide 50k lbs load but thing got screwed up an i got this instead which i dont mind its 33k an "legal width", theres a couple small boxes high up that stick out past the sides but ya have too be looking too see them.

The big piece is 46ft long they wanted too put it all on the bottom deck but i didnt want too mess with over hang so we put the load levelers too use, unfortunately with the ark of the trailer spacing out the levers would have required shimming so i stick them both close together an just added the extra straps using more X straps too pull down an stop side to side movement instead of the usual pulling straight down strapping. The piece weight approx 20k so there is definitely more straps then needed but its locked down hard. The levelers are spaced like that cause of how reitenour builds there trailers with bolts in the J hook slots so it limits where you can slide the levelers, but thats no worst then the type using the stake pocks i guess, most of the weight is on the front leveler with the 4x4 as a bridge between the two since the front leveler isnt centered with the bar running across the back.

There's also the 6T counter weight which i threw 2 chains over the center locked in some groves as well as one running across the back too stop backwords movement i chose not to throw one over the front since its a foot from the kick.

Of course everything is sitting on 4x4 so nothing is touching the deck.

The pics aint the best, my phone hates the morning sun.

Alright lets have it lol.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott , flatbed94kid , Hammerhead
RE: What would you have done differently??

replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott , Pd6cas2
I probably would’ve spun the 46’ piece around, placing it right on the lower deck so the square feet were against the kick. 5-6 straps over the top, couple flags on the overhang. Throw the counterweight on the top kick, 2-3 straps and a trip chain or X chain on the front

Dunnage- if they supply it or request it, sure, otherwise I wouldn’t use any. Very rarely do stepdecks have dunnage and it’s even more rare to get load levellers. So I learned to do without.

Bottom deck is usually 43’ so you would’ve had 3’ of overhang, unless I’m missing something.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
Here we go again ha ha ha!!..... good for you though, putting your pride aside and trying to become better at what you do! That's awesome.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Stayed in orthopedic surgical nursing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , DosGatos , RocketScott , Hammerhead , smorgan87
Call me ignorant, or just plain stupid...but if you have to panic stop, what stops your piece from coming forward?

I agree with DDlighttruck on turning your piece around and butting it up against the step as a backstop. You have good downforce with the 4 inchers you have on, but nothing to arrest any forward/back movement.

How far do you have to take your piece? If it is a small distance, I would say you are ok, but any long run might pose a problem with vibration from the road.

I probably stepped in the wrong direction, but I wanted to give my 2 cents worth.

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
It can happen. I saw one of these being hauled couple weeks ago it only had straps holding it down.

https://cdllife.com/2019/5-year-old-girl...per-berth/

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
It can happen. I saw one of these being hauled couple weeks ago it only had straps holding it down.
Surprised it didn't kill all of them. Tore cab off the truck.

https://cdllife.com/2019/5-year-old-girl...per-berth/

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
I see nothing wrong with the way you loaded the boom piece. I prefer to load them that way. It will ride a little funny feeling because what you have essentially done is added another frame to the trailer. Making it stiffer. But it will ride the best loaded that way. I would've however moved your load levelers forward 4' or so to get the load more over the trailer axles instead of the nonsupported tail overhang. That or open the spread up. You run the risk of snapping that tail off or damaging it.

You made the right call using the top deck to load that. You will rarely ever get a piece that fits solely on the bottom deck and you definitely don't want the overhang. 4-5' of overhang needs to be permitted in some states. Especially with a 53' trailer. And having all that weight that far back just sucks. It rides like a boat on rough seas.

What keeps his load from coming forward is friction and down force. ALWAYS stick lumber between metal pieces as a friction surface. NEVER metal on metal. You should run a chain through the front pulling slightly back to stop any chance of forward movement. Use padding to not damage the boom with the chain.

As far as where you attached the chains and chain ends. I don't ever elect to go around a pocket. As you can see, you've already crushed some of them. Spools are by far the best attaching point. You can easily reach them with a slight angle. Or place your load better next time to use them. Use pockets for side kits and pipe stakes. Other than that leave them alone. They crush and tear far to easy.

The chain you used over the back of the weight for rear movement would've been better used over the front to stop forward movement. Your chains over the top supply more than enough securement to cover rear movement being you have them tucked in the attaching slots on the counterweight.

I also may have loaded that counterweight further back for even weight distribution. It looks like your gonna be heavier on the drives because of the counter weight being so far forward and the heavy end of the boom section being up front. Had it been a heavier load, you would've had to place the counter weight further back.

Lastly, those 4x4's on top of your load levelers may cause you a problem. They may vibrate out from under your load. A couple of 1" straps or even a couple bungee's attaching them to the boom or anything you set on lumber on top of your levelers will keep them where they are. I've learned this the hard way a couple times. Check them frequently.

All in all, if i needed to hook to that load the way you have it I'd have no problem with it. I'd do a quick scale to know my weight placement for bad weather. Open the spread, move the chain points and add a catch chain to the front boom and down the road I go.

Nice trailer. I like the sideboxes.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.