What would you have done differently??
10-22-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
(10-22-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  It can happen. I saw one of these being hauled couple weeks ago it only had straps holding it down.
Surprised it didn't kill all of them. Tore cab off the truck.

https://cdllife.com/2019/5-year-old-girl...per-berth/

I see that all the time. None of those guys use X chains across the front. All truck drivers should be scared shitless when they haul anything without having MORE than enough securement to stop forward movement. They should hang that article with huge pictures at the aluminum plant.

They had pictures at a steel pipe plant in Perth Amboy, NJ of a dead driver that was pinched over the engine of his day cab. The pipe came forward thru his headache rack and shoved him over the steering wheel and through the windshield. The pictures were big and clear right next to the window where you picked your paperwork. In big letters it said "make sure your load is secure" It was a brutal but simple reminder not to get lazy and compliant. To me it was very effective.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Mattman , DSTdriver
10-22-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
Ugh chains added too appease the masses.......ahh just joking, when i loaded i had though about chains in the front but ended up not doing it, so after 2 comments on it i figure i shoulda trusted my gut this morning an did it.

Scotty nothing ignorant about your question man, with the piece 46' long an only have thise two contact points id be curious too. As chamberpains explain the wood is key woth the weight of the piece bitting into the wood with is bitting into the grooved deck an the straps to clamp down it kills most friction an vibration, thats why load checks are important too catch danger before it begins.

Tree no pride swallowed here, after the 2 drivers i seen yesterday that woulda scared ya. One guy doing an oversize driving a cascadia had his oversize sign at the top of his grill cover the freightliner emblem an pulled back along the sides of his hood, he obviously had no idea what he was doing. The second guy came an asked me for help putting on his chains. So i went too help him trying too figure out what he was talking about he couldnt tighten em. Turns out he was using snap binders an putting them too tight so it was taking 3 guys too close them. So i had too take a couple mins an show him how too use them properly an explain how the tensile strength of chain comes into play when tightening things down. He was getting ready too leave when i stopped him too show him how too do cross chains on 2 of his 3 10T counter weight his third was against the kick touching unlike mine, so ya this guy was about too kicker down the road with 68k on an 2 chains per counter weight. To his credit he happily lostened too everything i said so he was never trainned an never bothered too find any on his own.

Sooooo ya after that i figured i could always learn some more, and this load is perfect for it. We have to different ways of loading it neither right or wrong each with pros an cons i could have gone either way.

Chamberpains thanks for the tip on the load levelers no idea why i didnt think of that cause i wont tail load anything whether it be a pish push lawnmower or a 20T dozer unless the spread is open, for that very reason of bending the trailer the wrong way.

The 4x4's on the levelers are locked in place ive been keeping an eye on them, caise i had that same issue with a load my short 4x4's kept trying too walk away.

I actually found a mistake i made thanks to your comment about the chains around the pockets, i went back through the pics wondering how....how did he see the one pocket on the entire trailer i bent lol. An noticed one chain popped outta the link an was holding by the hole instead, anyway caise of that bent pocket ill only wrap around them when going straight across like these chains are.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , scottydogtruck
10-24-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
I figured i'd keep this thread going with this interesting load an my distain for cardboard boxes on a deck, this load so shoulda been on a curtin side or a van.

I only took one before pic an was halfway done before thinking of posting it here.

For today's discussion we have one 30ft long pole an 9 12ft boxes strapped to a 9ft pallet, a literal house of cards ready too tip at any time an a single pallet wrapped in plastic.

Nothing is heavy, the boxes i ended up 2 strap under an over to create a pocket too stop them from trying too tip over going down the road, i know im gonna be stopping alot too tighten straps. The last pallet not gonna lie the only thing holding it boxes in place is the tarp as i strapped the edges of the pallet.

This is one of those paying for fuel too get too my next load pickups.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

I’ll play along. 40’ container. 16,000 pounds. Two 5/16” X chains on the front, two 3/8” X chains on the back. Five 2” straps over the top

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ynot
Lol awesome.

That's how i chain my containers, i probably would have went with 3/8" chain all the way around though, didnt somebody one here say the only thing 5/16" chains are good for is chaining up the dog in the back yard or something.

Ill leave the other thing i noticed for chamberpains, he called me out on the same thing lol.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos
Oofffa, is that x chain on DDlighttrucks Can just straight hooked to a pocket. Someone has more $$ than brains. Cause it ain't cheap or safe to have to replace em when they tear right outta there. Also, if your X chains are touching where they cross, you'll need to put padding in there. That one's in the FMCSA hand book. Chains cannot be crossed without padding between them.

Ynot,
I have more than a couple pictures of loads shoved off the side of my deck. But you gotta be a real monkey with a lift to shove a Can off the side. I would've just stood back and laughed shaking my head in amazement.

But back to your load. You could've used your in bed J hook hold downs on the drivers side of that shitty stack of boxes. The closer you can get your hold down points to 90° off the load the better. It would've essentially made a box around the boxes with the strap. Next time put you J hooks in the bed 1st with the strap or ratchet already attached. Then have them load the skid of boxes tight to your J hooks. Then throw your strap over to the winch or side. It works wonders at holding those stupid pallets or piece in place. Also tell those fools to band the boxes together and also to pallet. Not just one or the other. Both. I holler at guys that try to load skidded drum on my truck that way. It ain't happening. All drums banded together with at least 2 horizontal bands and 4 holding the drums to the skid. And i dont care if they didn't originally put the drums on the skid. They're yours now, so get your lazy ass in gear and get to banding them.

Just so guys reading this know, im not a load Nazi. I tell guys all the time "you get it up on the bed and I'll get it down the road,... within laws and reason". I do a lot of weird stuff when it comes to securement. 1, because there is no manual on how to tie everything down and B there is no school except on the job training and what your brain can put together. There is no 1 right way, but there are a pile of ways way worse than others.

I like this thread. Hopefully we can keep it going. Maybe there won't be a manual but there can at least be this thread??...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos
I'll admit if I had a step deck it was against the step like that I don't think I would have put chains would have done the 4/5 straps but I would have never thought of doing chains as I would have trusted the step to be my blocker. And with my flatbed I would have had two chains on the back but not the front that's my admission for the day

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
That too my friend is in the FMCSA hand book. All loaded container must have X chains on the front. Unless you have twist locks on the deck
./uploads/201910/post_3285_1571962361_3ef89ce627fad8831162704c41d84941.png

I've hauled many EMPTY containers with just chains through the bottom lock holes or even just straps over the whole thing. Empty is standard rules of securement. But once its loaded you need the x chains on it.
./uploads/201910/post_3285_1571963018_f9098f46fb08834d208c5b78c6a8ce4a.png
./uploads/201910/post_3285_1571963044_f60ec789bbd0240c19047c7147e996fa.png
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Hammerhead , scottydogtruck
Guess that's why I don't haul containers all we ever do is all the empty pod things

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.