What would you have done differently??
10-24-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??

I’ll keep this going, I’m a glutton for punishment

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(10-24-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Oofffa, is that x chain on DDlighttrucks Can just straight hooked to a pocket. Someone has more $$ than brains. Cause it ain't cheap or safe to have to replace em when they tear right outta there. Also, if your X chains are touching where they cross, you'll need to put padding in there. That one's in the FMCSA hand book. Chains cannot be crossed without padding between them.

I like this thread. Hopefully we can keep it going. Maybe there won't be a manual but there can at least be this thread??...
Out of curiosity, why would I rip out the stake pockets? I’ve certainly seen my fair share of ripped/torn/crushed stake pockets....but not from anything I’ve done to cause that. I’ve shook my head quite a bit over other drivers abuse.

Yes, I did read your earlier comments about chains and stake pockets being a no-no. I’m just saying it’s never been an issue for me.

Which reg states that crossed chains can’t touch? I’d like to read that. Thanks

replyreply
Eh... my turn [/b]36,000 of plate steel. 4 straps over top of each bundle and a set of x straps on fronts of each bundle.[b]

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(10-24-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(10-24-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Oofffa, is that x chain on DDlighttrucks Can just straight hooked to a pocket. Someone has more $$ than brains. Cause it ain't cheap or safe to have to replace em when they tear right outta there. Also, if your X chains are touching where they cross, you'll need to put padding in there. That one's in the FMCSA hand book. Chains cannot be crossed without padding between them.

I like this thread. Hopefully we can keep it going. Maybe there won't be a manual but there can at least be this thread??...
Out of curiosity, why would I rip out the stake pockets? I’ve certainly seen my fair share of ripped/torn/crushed stake pockets....but not from anything I’ve done to cause that. I’ve shook my head quite a bit over other drivers abuse.

Yes, I did read your earlier comments about chains and stake pockets being a no-no. I’m just saying it’s never been an issue for me.

Which reg states that crossed chains can’t touch? I’d like to read that. Thanks

Its not that the chains can't touch, its too stop them from rubbing together and chafing. I usually use a bunge between them to keep them apart an wrap the excess around them too keep them secured together.

An ugh using the rub rail for securement that gives me shivers, but that's more a canadian thing cause DOT see's that up here your gonna be helping pay for the xmas party.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
(10-24-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Eh... my turn [/b]36,000 of plate steel. 4 straps over top of each bundle and a set of x straps on fronts of each bundle.[b]

I dont do much plate steel, i know they dont like using chains cause it can bend the edges, but for the front cross straps would it be more beneficial to use chains or would the shipper even let you? My thinking is if something happens an the steel ends up coming forward couldnt it cut through the edge protectors an straps since they have more give then chains do?

Just wondering for curiosity sake, id have no problems running down the road with how you have it loaded.
replyreply
10-25-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
My dad has it drilled into my head do not scratch/bend/get steel wet with these loads. This is actually a no tarp load. The no tarp drove me up a wall in the dispatch had to ask dispatch if he was sure then I called the receiver for horses mouth assurance on the no tarp and was told the reason for no tarp it's going to be galvanized after it's been made into what it's being made into

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
There was a angering funny story to go with that picture of the tipped container, i was getting ready too type it an got busy an just hit reply i didn't think it was gonna auto attach.

i shoulda got more pictures too tell more of the story.

So i pick that thing up they load it with a crain like you'd expect, im basic done chaining it down an buddy starts talking me about where im taking it an how he thinks they use a crane too lift it off then he goes nah I'm they pull it off the back. Which is when i go im sorry what which is it cause of there pulling it off the back ypu can take it off now i aint doing it. Too where he back tracks too no no im 100% positive they lift it off dont worry don't worry man.

So ya i get too the place not a crane or or container lift truck in sight an im dreading whats about too happen. Buddy tells me too pull around too the side street an we'll pull it off, so he backs up the old landoll to the back of my trailer hooks up to the container and the pull beings an my blood pressure begins too skyrocket as im watching this thing inch back with curly shavings of aluminum being carved outta my deck. So im watching all this an i see it start too go sideways i flag buddy down i tell him he strugs an just keeps going tell the container is just about too fall off he stops to go get his big forklift to try an lift it back straight. It was at this point that his screwing around he manged too knock it off the side of the trailer thankfully that lamp pole was there cause its the only thing keeping the container from flipping. Buddy is starting too lose his shi#t he runs too get another forklift a warehouse forklift that he drivers up over the curb into the grass too lift the other side or the container an it aint strong too lift it an proceeds to get it stuck, so now he's back too his big forklift thats on the wrong side too do much good. Mean while im pacing back an forth silently raging an burning up my thumb tips texting dispatch too get ready im gonna want some cash for repairs, when buddy starts yelling at me waving his arms in the air what the f$%k man f$%k man why arnt you helping me jesus christ like f$%k....and thats when i let loose alot more swearing an yelling what the f$%k do you want me too do lift it back up myself were past the point of me helping this is your problem now get it the f$%k off my trailer. In the end i ended up telling him too hold it best he could with the forklift an i just drove out from under it, at which his mini loader forklift was rear wheels in the air caise it sure wasnt made for that job. An i tore off outta there with my battle scared trailer That was the last contain i hauled after that load i said f$%k that it aint worth it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Waterloo
Lonestar, that's a good looking load of sheet metal. I wish all guys secured them that way with edge protectors on the top and bottom.

DDlighttruck, if you should happen to be in a situation that will expose that chain to full load limit, it will cut straight through or completely tear off the pocket side the way you have it. In order to use a pocket, you need to wrap all the way around it or it doesn't count. Your only using one side of the rated WWL item your attached to. It's the same as what guys argue that bungee cords have a weight rating. THEY DON'T and CANNOT be used to legally hold anything considered a load (your load covering or tarps not being considered). Half your stake pocket is not rated. Therefore it cannot be used. Plus, look at that thin, only spot welded, piece of aluminum. Does it even reasonably look like it will take a good tug?

As far as wrapping the strap around the rub rail. I guess its a Canadian no no. EDIT** had to remove a previous statement. On another post Hammerhead brought up a valid argument that using the rub rail in extreme cold areas and the potential shock load may break them. I also can't speak for Canadian laws.

But in the states you can use the rub rail. Just not like DDlighttruck has it. Wrapping the strap around so that it's purposely exposed to potential abrasion will not be tolerated by many DOT officers. Connecticut may hammer you on having the strap being exposed like that. Back in 2006 when i knew nothing about flatbeds, but hauled one around, i got stopped in CT and told to get as many straps inside the rub rail as possible or I wasn't gonna leave the weight station. He told me the purpose of the rub rail is to not have the strap exposed to abrasion if you rub something. FMCSA states that all securement should be within the rub rail whenever practicable. Meaning if you can get it inside the rub rail than do it. If you can justify it not being inside than its not necessary. There are still old trailers running around that were manufactured without rub rails. So don't get caught up in there is always only one way to secure things when it comes to using them. But don't willingly expose you webbing to abrasion. I've watched DOT get guys on doing so.
./uploads/201910/post_3285_1571994946_54d53cd46c7656c95f99d06eab47bec9.png

A lot of guys say that going to the rub rails makes it an oversized thing. Thats simply not true in the states. If it were than every single curtain side or sliding Conestoga would have to purchase permanent OD permits because the kits themselves make the trailer wider than 102". Go ahead and measure a few. You might be surprised when you see 104"+ on those "legal"curtain sides. They are less concerned with OD limits than they are with securement failure.

My trailer doesn't have any place to hook under the trailer because of the winch slider rail on both sides. So my only option is to go to rub rail. I've never been even looked at funny in 13 years for ever going inside the rub rail 1st and back out to it or just directly to it if the load dictates it. (Like loads that are 102")
replyreply
I’m with you Chamberpains. I agree with your opinion

But, on THIS load, the container I posted pics of, I don’t see any chances of movement. So I’m less fussy on how things are done. I used 12’ chains on the front X, leaves me very little excess chain to wrap up, in this case none. I used 8’ chains on the back, which also gave me no excess chain to wrap up. I try to be efficient that way

The picture you posted of the regs..... I’m not sure if that’s for the chains crossing or for the rub rails not being used for securement?

I learned to do without, especially on low pro steps like I’m dragging today. There’s a lack of securement points especially if they have an open spread that can close. You lose stake pockets and winches because of that.

I like the flat hook end on 2” ratchets because it keeps the ratchet body closer to the trailer. Some loads if you use the chain end the ratchet body can bounce into the load causing paint damage. I’ve tried putting padding in there but it usually blows away, unless I tape it there.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.