What would you have done differently??
10-25-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
Lonestar, that's a good looking load of sheet metal. I wish all guys secured them that way with edge protectors on the top and bottom.

DDlighttruck, if you should happen to be in a situation that will expose that chain to full load limit, it will cut straight through or completely tear off the pocket side the way you have it. In order to use a pocket, you need to wrap all the way around it or it doesn't count. Your only using one side of the rated WWL item your attached to. It's the same as what guys argue that bungee cords have a weight rating. THEY DON'T and CANNOT be used to legally hold anything considered a load (your load covering or tarps not being considered). Half your stake pocket is not rated. Therefore it cannot be used. Plus, look at that thin, only spot welded, piece of aluminum. Does it even reasonably look like it will take a good tug?

As far as wrapping the strap around the rub rail. I guess its a Canadian no no. EDIT** had to remove a previous statement. On another post Hammerhead brought up a valid argument that using the rub rail in extreme cold areas and the potential shock load may break them. I also can't speak for Canadian laws.

But in the states you can use the rub rail. Just not like DDlighttruck has it. Wrapping the strap around so that it's purposely exposed to potential abrasion will not be tolerated by many DOT officers. Connecticut may hammer you on having the strap being exposed like that. Back in 2006 when i knew nothing about flatbeds, but hauled one around, i got stopped in CT and told to get as many straps inside the rub rail as possible or I wasn't gonna leave the weight station. He told me the purpose of the rub rail is to not have the strap exposed to abrasion if you rub something. FMCSA states that all securement should be within the rub rail whenever practicable. Meaning if you can get it inside the rub rail than do it. If you can justify it not being inside than its not necessary. There are still old trailers running around that were manufactured without rub rails. So don't get caught up in there is always only one way to secure things when it comes to using them. But don't willingly expose you webbing to abrasion. I've watched DOT get guys on doing so.
./uploads/201910/post_3285_1571994946_54d53cd46c7656c95f99d06eab47bec9.png

A lot of guys say that going to the rub rails makes it an oversized thing. Thats simply not true in the states. If it were than every single curtain side or sliding Conestoga would have to purchase permanent OD permits because the kits themselves make the trailer wider than 102". Go ahead and measure a few. You might be surprised when you see 104"+ on those "legal"curtain sides. They are less concerned with OD limits than they are with securement failure.

My trailer doesn't have any place to hook under the trailer because of the winch slider rail on both sides. So my only option is to go to rub rail. I've never been even looked at funny in 13 years for ever going inside the rub rail 1st and back out to it or just directly to it if the load dictates it. (Like loads that are 102")
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done differently?? - Chamberpains - 10-25-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.