What would you have done differently??
11-08-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
They left off 2 skid buckets that were on the bills lol! 72in bucket 30in overhang

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
11-09-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
(11-09-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  I personally feed my hook through the rub rail with the hook facing me then up and back down through the rub rail and hook it on the bottom thus wrapping the rub rail. What I believe and was taught was that by going through and then hooking the hook to the top of the rub rail pulls the rub rail out at the top and down essentially ripping it off the trailer. I have seen this with my own eyes after accidents. By doing it as I do and going through the rail then up and back down with the hook makes it pull from the bottom in and up. By pulling inward on the rail you are pulling it towards the welds and not ripping it out and away from them.

Doing this exposes the strap to abrasion. Defeating the whole purpose of the rub rail. You get the same exact effect of pulling down when you simply go thru the rub rail and back to it. You are adding one extra wrap that just leaves the strap exposed to road debris and potential to be cut and fail should you happen to scrape something. This is what the Connecticut DOT officer warned me about not doing all those years ago.
replyreply
(11-09-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  This could have been already answered I don't know, I ...
Why do you run 3.36 rears?

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
So doing some research, it appears Canada and America got along just long enough to come up with the north american securement handbook in 2002 and by June 2006 the FMCSA said the hell with Canada and made a bunch of final rulings about securement that Canada doesn't agree with. So this is why we have such a diverse and confusing idea on what and how things should be secured. Rub rail or no rub rail? Inside or where ever? What constitutes an anchor point? Does it have a rating? It appears America says most of those questions are up in the air and up to the driver or law enforcement to decide. Where as Canada has a more black and white approach by using the north American securement handbook to this day.

This directly from FMCSA website. Current as of 2014.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/ca...ment-rules

Then I ran in to J.J. Keller's findings in this article as of 2019.
https://www.jjkeller.com/learn/should-yo...securement

What a mess.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(11-09-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  So doing some research, it appears Canada and America got along just long enough to come up with the north american securement handbook in 2002 and by June 2006 the FMCSA said the hell with Canada and made a bunch of final rulings about securement that Canada doesn't agree with. So this is why we have such a diverse and confusing idea on what and how things should be secured. Rub rail or no rub rail? Inside or where ever? What constitutes an anchor point? Does it have a rating? It appears America says most of those questions are up in the air and up to the driver or law enforcement to decide. Where as Canada has a more black and white approach by using the north American securement handbook to this day.

This directly from FMCSA website. Current as of 2014.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/ca...ment-rules

Then I ran in to J.J. Keller's findings in this article as of 2019.
https://www.jjkeller.com/learn/should-yo...securement

What a mess.

Just like having two HOS, having two sets of securement regs is annoying. I printed off the national safety code for securement a couple years ago and carry it on the truck

The two biggest misconception are length and number of straps needed, then the WLL needed on heavy machines over 10,000 pounds.

It says that you need one strap FOR every ten feet of cargo, NOT that you need a strap AT every ten feet. On a 40 foot piece I could put six straps all in the middle and be legal.

2268 kg is 5000 pounds. 5/16” chain is good for 4700 pounds. So, heavy vehicles over 10,000 pounds needs at minimum four 3/8” chains as your main securement

I’ve had guys argue and argue with me. There’s the regs, that’s the wording, maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I was taught and that’s how I read them

On the length/strap placement- think of a bridge beam on a dolly. You always see 5-6 chains up front and 5-6 chains on the back dolly. Nothing for 40-50 feet in the middle! So unless they’re exempt somehow, to me that’s legally allowed given the wording

replyreply
11-10-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
./uploads/201911/post_1367_1573363374_5fd068f2909f94e1675708738f193023.jpg

3:36 on 11r24.5

I call 18th my Gettin home gear!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(11-10-2019 )Brock Wrote:  3:36 on 11r24.5

I call that the "suck the bottom out of the fuel tank while lugging the engine" mode.

This is because there are plenty of morons out there that would drive that way fully loaded.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(11-10-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-10-2019 )Brock Wrote:  3:36 on 11r24.5

I call that the "suck the bottom out of the fuel tank while lugging the engine" mode.

This is because there are plenty of morons out there that would drive that way fully loaded.

Oooh I've heard it over and over again, argued with every damn driver I had over it . They all said "it's a cat, you can lug it"

Maybe hauling fu$#ing toilet paper, not 140,000lbs ffs!!

I run 17th at 100km 62mph ish.... and turn around 1600 rpm for the heavy load, 18th is solely for passing or blowjob day when I just gotta do 120km to get home lol

This all being said, once i get my ISX swap done, I'm gonna swap out the gear ratio if i go back to heavy hauling..... it's just too hard on the driveline and engine to lift off with such tall gears.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
11-11-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
I have 12 pieces of 12” pipe on the deck. 3 pieces of dunnage on the deck, then 7 pipes then three more pieces of dunnage and the final five pipes.

I used three 3” straps as belly straps. 42’ long pipe, so I used another six 3” over the top. Then, just the top five pipes I wrapped a 2” strap all the way around just the top five pipes. It doesn’t connect to the trailer anywhere. I tightened that one as much as I could then tightened the over the top straps.

That’s kind of my go to for loads like this.

The second layer is about 30” off the deck, too high for a bulkhead, and I cant really X chain or X strap the front of it. No headache rack on the trailer although there is one on the truck.

How would you have done it?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.