What would you have done differently??
11-09-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
(11-09-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  So doing some research, it appears Canada and America got along just long enough to come up with the north american securement handbook in 2002 and by June 2006 the FMCSA said the hell with Canada and made a bunch of final rulings about securement that Canada doesn't agree with. So this is why we have such a diverse and confusing idea on what and how things should be secured. Rub rail or no rub rail? Inside or where ever? What constitutes an anchor point? Does it have a rating? It appears America says most of those questions are up in the air and up to the driver or law enforcement to decide. Where as Canada has a more black and white approach by using the north American securement handbook to this day.

This directly from FMCSA website. Current as of 2014.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/ca...ment-rules

Then I ran in to J.J. Keller's findings in this article as of 2019.
https://www.jjkeller.com/learn/should-yo...securement

What a mess.

Just like having two HOS, having two sets of securement regs is annoying. I printed off the national safety code for securement a couple years ago and carry it on the truck

The two biggest misconception are length and number of straps needed, then the WLL needed on heavy machines over 10,000 pounds.

It says that you need one strap FOR every ten feet of cargo, NOT that you need a strap AT every ten feet. On a 40 foot piece I could put six straps all in the middle and be legal.

2268 kg is 5000 pounds. 5/16” chain is good for 4700 pounds. So, heavy vehicles over 10,000 pounds needs at minimum four 3/8” chains as your main securement

I’ve had guys argue and argue with me. There’s the regs, that’s the wording, maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I was taught and that’s how I read them

On the length/strap placement- think of a bridge beam on a dolly. You always see 5-6 chains up front and 5-6 chains on the back dolly. Nothing for 40-50 feet in the middle! So unless they’re exempt somehow, to me that’s legally allowed given the wording

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done differently?? - DDlighttruck - 11-09-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.