New truck
10-26-2019, (Subject: New truck ) 
RE: New truck
So I recently became a o/o and got a Volvo with a cm870 in it. Right after I got it, I was looking for a good enough forum. Luckily I found this place!. Shortly after getting the truck, I started having issues one after the other.

Everyone here has probably helped me out in one way or another. The only reason I got my truck is because well it was affordable to me and the motor was rebuilt with less then 100k miles on it. 3 months into owning my truck I dropped a liner.... everyone here has heard and seen the piss poor handy man work done on my truck but just about everyone else that comes here finds out the hard way unfortunately. But that’s okay! Some of us have lost waaaaay more in money and time. Some shi#t you can’t make up even if you wanted to... the proof is in the pudding here.

I think and believe everyone here has the best of intentions for you!. Nobody that comes here wants to give you bad advise and if they do, they are booted out ASAP.

I hope you stay on the forum and pray you aren’t another victim of a slob job rebuild like my self & and many others, when they got their truck!.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo
10-26-2019, (Subject: New truck ) 
Assuming you don't plan on adding back the egr/emissions system, and that you live on a foreign country where that stuff is legal, Bad programming aside, I would tell you to start by putting back the VGT turbo that came off it back on it hands down. Anything less than than this, and it will never be as efficient as it should be, and your loosing thousands of $$$, if not tens of thousands in wasted fuel every year depending on the type of trucking operations you have.

Without the adjust-ability of the "air" in the fuel-air-mix efficiency equation, you have 2 choices... Operate the engine in unsafe manners (the bad tuning you have currently) where the fuel-air-mix is either too lean or too rich at any given moment, and far from optimized considering the turbo that does not even closely match the engine curve of an ISX, or...

Have it re-programmed so that it is far less destructive to the internals, but the engine becomes a slave to the mostly fixed style of air-flow, where it will be lazy on the bottom end and have issues with making proper power without hammering the crank bearings out or fretting liners and causing failed head gaskets prematurely on the top end. That is, if you don't drive it too hard and crack a piston first.

- It being an CM870, you need to get with Mommaburt or unilevers on here and see what options for getting that programming, etc. back into some kind of decent shape will be. - Personally, if I owned it and wanted to get it right + get a return on the investment, I would retrofit it with an electronic VG 551 turbo + 871 ECM (best response and efficiency, and long term profitability), 2nd option is to put the original air-operated turbo back on it (2nd best option for getting it back right), 3rd option is to use a holset Hx60 non-vg on it, at least the HX is matched to the ISX engine curve properly, but with the HX, you will be about 3/4 to 1+ mpg lower than any kind of ECM-adjustable (Vg) turbo give or take, + loose any kind of decent engine brake capability, similar to the situation your already in, just not as bad. Fuel and other Losses always depend on operations that the truck is doing, but for most, the VG (the one that is supposed to be on it from factory) is the way to properly fix what has been done.

Either way, if your dash does not have boost and pyro gauges, install some decent brand of aftermarket gauges right away to help you monitor and eventually learn to drive by them for better profitability.

Priority though should be to get that borg-P.O.S. off it and something that matches the engine properly like mentioned above, depending on budget etc. and then go from there.

- The program will also need to be replaced with something that does not have to be questioned, and that should also be the highest priority, as it causes the most internal damage long term on them.

-- Someone, somewhere took a wrong turn and went down the wrong path with that thing. - Some people get lucky and don't have a ton of issues with garbage can tunes and mods like your has, but the majority end up spending $50,000 - $70,000 trying to reverse those kinds of bad choices after an inframe or 3 and putting it back right again because they threw away the original parts, etc. ... many of those victims and their engines usually end up right here on this forum and in a world if hurt before its over with because they don't see the problems soon enough sometimes and have convinced themselves that what they did was somehow ok for it. My only reasoning is that some people just like giving money and hard earned profits away in the name of sheer ignorance.

The ISX is not designed for, and cannot handle those types of hack-n-slash mods very well at all,.. it is nothing like engines of yesterday, and it will bleed you to death of your profitability and bankrupt you in a hurry when people do that stupid@ s$it to them!.

Someone wants and engine they can mod and play with like that and put garbage tunes in and junky turbo's on,... they should have bought an older-style yellow motor so they can brag about how many times they lifted the head off it and blew the head gasket and all the other bulls$it those guys do + how much fuel they waste on a daily basis and fund the oil companies in the middle east!. - It has no place any more in modern trucking with our lower than normal freight rates, higher fuel prices, and expensive component replacements.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo , Wiseman
10-28-2019, (Subject: New truck ) 
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Let me say that I did not read the forum rules with respect to posts of this nature. My apologies.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver , Waterloo
10-29-2019, (Subject: New truck ) 
(10-28-2019 )spindrift Wrote:  Thanks to everyone who responded.
Let me say that I did not read the forum rules with respect to posts of this nature. My apologies.

Now, let's get your truck fixed and making money! Welcome aboard!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.