Rebuilding a 2350
10-27-2019, (Subject: Rebuilding a 2350 ) 
Rebuilding a 2350
I'm having my engine rebuilt. I'm doing this on a budget I decided to go ahead with a new head during the rebuild as its not much more then a reman. Besides the basic overhaul with new Oil pump and doing jake solenoids.. What else should be done? If the cam and rollers all look good i wanna just reuse them. Turbo has 630,xxx on it so im thinking if nothing else is Wrong to just go ahead and swap that out. My last turbo on my cm870 lasted till it was 800k Though so its a hard call. Also gonna put a new Damper on. Anything else i might wanna change?
replyreply
RE: Rebuilding a 2350
No clue what motor you have, sounds like a 2250 or 2350, but... Ha Ha, just saw the header... 2350 it is...

MAKE SURE the BLOCK IS MACHINED! If the block is not properly cut to hold the liners you are pissing away your money. Set the liner heights to .014 of an inch. And if they say they cannot do it, take the truck to Mr Hagg! I would go see him for this in frame anyways, I would not let anyone else in my motor down here in the states. And if they can cut the block for liners, I would be standing right there to view the measurements. I mean RIGHT THERE over the guys shoulder. Trust NO ONE!

I would also replace the oil cooler, those do fail in time, you are in there, replace it. Sits in the block behind the EGR Cooler.

The turbo, if it is still nice and dry, I would maybe pass on that for now. When the time comes, YTS Turbo down in Griffin GA can get you a nice and professionally remanned turbo for half the price you will pay for a Cummins reman. These Cummins reman turbos have been of very questionable quality as of late. I had two of them on my truck, neither lasted more than a few days before puking oil all over the place. The YTS turbo has been rock solid, knock on wood. I was just in there inspecting it, still nice and dry and working properly after a year plus of service.

Is there something wrong with the Jake solenoids? If not, I would leave those alone. Mine are original with over a million miles on them. The Jake harness, I would replace that if it looks toasty. Also replace the cam and crank sensors, inexpensive to do.

If the cam and rollers look good, leave them alone. They are not that difficult to replace if need be down the road. Keep the oil clean, do not abuse the motor, and a million miles plus should be doable on those.

I would do the motor mounts, cab mounts, look around for other little things that are soon to fail. Most parts are good for around 800,000 miles, like the ECM.

And I would go through the fuel pump, rebuild it or replace with a new one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , rrod , Pete1990 , hhow55 , JMBT
When rebuilding a 2250 or 2350 what is the general consensus about the rear and front structure leaking syndrome and just doing an out of frame rebuild? Seems like a good time at overhaul to address to me.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pete1990
Normally when the transmission is removed, for say a new clutch, the rear main is done at that time. When I in framed my motor the first time around, I had a new clutch and other parts installed, along with the rear main and the new gasket set in the rear structure. If it is not leaking and the clutch is fine, I would wait until it is clutch time. I also did the front seal at that same time, but even that is not necessary, but if you are in there, may as well replace that front seal if it is a concern. It will depend upon the budget, and Pete is on a budget.
replyreply
Yeah we have block work on the invoice just in case. Mr Hagg is doing my rebuild. When i bought the truck it had a new clutch put in as it was gone and they also did a rear main at that time. Also have the front Structure but i don't think that's what leaking looks more like the Air compressor gasket.

I'm also getting the DPF filter *Repaired* while im there so ill be getting a rebuilt Fuel pump. :P Nothing that i know is wrong with the jakes but its on the invoice.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
You are in good hands, Jerry will know what to touch and or replace. Follow his advice. And the block will be machined properly. I would do the oil cooler, that I would not skip, as that side of the motor will be off.
replyreply
10-29-2019, (Subject: Rebuilding a 2350 ) 
Thank you i was thinking the oil cooler as they are cheap and seem to go around 600-700k. My last truck it went at like 640k So that would annoy me to rebuild it and then that goes Lol.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.