Brock's 08 Pete 389 engine swap(Yellow to Red?)
10-31-2019, (Subject: Brock's 08 Pete 389 engine swap(Yellow to Red?) ) 
RE: Brock's 08 Pete Rebuild....... again.
(10-30-2019 )Hammerhead Wrote:  You doin this yourself Brock?
Or are you having another shop do this for ya?
Kind of a hybrid of both.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
10-31-2019, (Subject: Brock's 08 Pete 389 engine swap(Yellow to Red?) ) 
(10-30-2019 )Brock Wrote:  
(10-30-2019 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  We learn from seeing things like this from you.

That's why I post this story/ info. I get no joy out of coming on a public forum and letting everyone know what a idiot I've been and publically shaming myself but I hope by people reading this, maybe someone will think twice before making the mistakes I have.

In general, is it better to have high monthly income or steady cash flow? I guess ideally you want both?
I’m just asking to learn- you posted $1 million dollars in gross revenue in one year, yet, still showed a loss. I, for one, would like to learn how to avoid that.

This doesn’t really belong in a motor rebuild thread, but I wanted to ask. Thanks

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
11-01-2019, (Subject: Brock's 08 Pete 389 engine swap(Yellow to Red?) ) 
(10-31-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(10-30-2019 )Brock Wrote:  
(10-30-2019 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  We learn from seeing things like this from you.

That's why I post this story/ info. I get no joy out of coming on a public forum and letting everyone know what a idiot I've been and publically shaming myself but I hope by people reading this, maybe someone will think twice before making the mistakes I have.

In general, is it better to have high monthly income or steady cash flow? I guess ideally you want both?
I’m just asking to learn- you posted $1 million dollars in gross revenue in one year, yet, still showed a loss. I, for one, would like to learn how to avoid that.

This doesn’t really belong in a motor rebuild thread, but I wanted to ask. Thanks

The very first step is running numbers before buying the trucks. You hear that Kevin guy on XM talk about that all the time and for once.... I agree.

I wish I had taken emotion out and just looked at numbers, it would have been so obvious I was making the wrong choices in the wrong way! I just wanted to own a fleet and grow and get rich...... well that didnt happen haha.

I remember doing unrealistic rough numbers based off what I made and saying to my wife "well I know we wont make as much as with 1 truck but it's a extra couple thousand each month that we wouldn't have otherwise" .... WRONG!!!!! That extra couple thousand gets eaten real quick by variances before we even talk about repairs.

Quick guideline off the top of my head.

Take your gross earnings for the last 2 years and average them. Realize that most employees wont earn as much as you and if they earn more gross.... they are probably running the truck harder than you would so remove 5% off the gross or add 5% to maintenance right there.

Even the best drivers will run your truck harder than you will, plus you arent computing drivers as they come and go but instead life of the truck. You may have good drivers today, but they'll be gone one day so add 10% to your maintenance costs.

Add 5% (could be more) to your fuel bill because noone who doesnt pay for fuel will care! I personally wont run my truck or even a heater until were below -5c because I like to save fuel and pajamas and a warm blanket keep me just fine..... no driver would do that.

Then deduct what a realistic wage would be that you would pay your drivers.

Take the net earnings and see if it makes sense, is there enough profit to cover the big ticket items you didnt do in the last 2 years you took the average from? Is it enough extra income to deal with the stress and pain of multiple trucks?

If your otr it may differ a bit from my line of work, I work in a industry where drivers make over 100k a year and the roads we travel are so bad they can destroy a truck very fast when abused so my numbers can differ than that of a otr owner op.

That white Columbia I showed, I bought off a flat deck owner op who blew the turbo and couldn't afford to fix it, he said the truck was nickle and diming him to death so he had to sell the truck to me for just enough money to let him keep running his 1 truck. I bought that damn turbo with pocket change..... I laughed at the repairs he had done because that was any given month for me.... but we had more in common than I realized, and we had both made poor business decisions.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , DDlighttruck , Tootall , tree98 , HES , Waterloo , Lucky
11-08-2019, (Subject: Brock's 08 Pete 389 engine swap(Yellow to Red?) ) 
RE: Brock's 08 Pete Rebuild....... again. (Yellow to Red?)
Quick update:

After a discussion with Unilevers and a thorough inspection of my Cat engine I have decided to do a Cummins Isx cm871 swap. Cpl 2733 just like I had in my prostar!

I'll have the motor next week.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
RE: Brock's 08 Pete 389 Rebuild(Yellow to Red?)
sweet, you have to rebuild it before it goes in? Where you getting the motor from?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
RE: Brock's 08 Pete 389 Rebuild(Yellow to Red?)
(11-08-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  sweet, you have to rebuild it before it goes in? Where you getting the motor from?
Nah, I'm just tossing in a good runner and I'll start putting together a rebuild kit for when the time comes. Knowing my luck, itll be 3 weeks after install.

Just grabbing it from a Alberta wrecker.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Volvo8873 , Waterloo
01-07-2020, (Subject: Brock's 08 Pete 389 engine swap(Yellow to Red?) ) 
RE: Brock's 08 Pete 389 engine swap(Yellow to Red?)

Look what arrived today!!!

Cm871 with a fresh IPD inframe kit.

replyreply

replyreply
Well see if I get lucky or cursed some more, I bought this engine from a wrecking yard as a good runner from a lower mileage unit to put in my truck, it was the only cm871 they had.

Upon inspection, the mechanic found moisture had gotten in one if the liners so they tore it down, rather than give my deposit back as they couldn't sell the motor, they bought a inframe kit and installed it, I'm not sure about the IPD kits for Cummins but I didnt have a say, I didnt even know they were rebuilding it.

Mechanic there said they did not cut the counter bores but he has the ability to if they needed it, he claims it was damn near like new. He says they warranty the engine so if it needed to be done, they would have done it for sure.

Not my ideal build but considering I thought I was gonna buy a used and possibly tired engine, I'll take it.

Maybe I'll have a rebuild thread started soon, who knows. I guess time will tell.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.