870 broken exhaust manifold bolt
10-30-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
870 broken exhaust manifold bolt
Found the bolt and 2" spacer laying on top of the exhaust manifold. I'm guessing it's gonna start leaking real soon now. Am I gonna have to take the manifold off and drill the broken bolt out or is there an easier way? I doubt it but figured I would ask.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt
(10-30-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Found the bolt and 2" spacer laying on top of the exhaust manifold. I'm guessing it's gonna start leaking real soon now. Am I gonna have to take the manifold off and drill the broken bolt out or is there an easier way? I doubt it but figured I would ask.

I would say best to pull manifold. Had two of mine break & I broke another while removing manifold. Was able to drill & tab two out, the third one I had to get a welder to come weld a nut on it to get it out. Boy was it fun, they were all three the very back ones. Maybe you’ll get luck if someone has anti-seezed them in the past. Mine had never been out in almost a million miles. Good luck
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
a little trick i have learned. we got pretty good at drilling and taping but lately i prefer to get a nice 90* 1/4" die grinder with a small carbide ball and bore down through the center of the broken bolt then change to a taper and clean out as much as u can with out touching the threads and then run a tap down through. or try a good left hand drill sometimes that bite at the bottom will screw the broken piece out. just my 2c
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Signature620 , Chamberpains , tree98
11-01-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
What you guys think about this thing?

https://www.brokenbolt.com/cummins-isx-b...t-demo.php

Its specifically for broken isx exhaust manifold bolts. I talked to the guy that makes them, he said it takes 8 minutes to drill a broken bolt out with this thing. He guarantees it to work, it's not cheap but either is a new head if you screw it up.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb
(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  What you guys think about this thing?

https://www.brokenbolt.com/cummins-isx-b...t-demo.php

Its specifically for broken isx exhaust manifold bolts. I talked to the guy that makes them, he said it takes 8 minutes to drill a broken bolt out with this thing. He guarantees it to work, it's not cheap but either is a new head if you screw it up.

nice solid looking jig.
replyreply
did some prodding around and turns out there are 2 broken bolts, both the bolts for the cylinder closest to the fire wall. The top one was laying on top of the exhaust manifold a few days ago, today I grabbed the bottom one and literally just pulled it right out!! What would cause these to just break off by themselves?

replyreply
How much is it?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
$780.00 shipped

replyreply
(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  did some prodding around and turns out there are 2 broken bolts, both the bolts for the cylinder closest to the fire wall. The top one was laying on top of the exhaust manifold a few days ago, today I grabbed the bottom one and literally just pulled it right out!! What would cause these to just break off by themselves?

I’m not sure of the cause, but that’s the exact same way I found mine & same location. I pulled manifold, drilled out bolts, new gaskets, torqued & good to go now. It’s something that I now regularly check & re-torque every six months or so.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.