870 broken exhaust manifold bolt
11-01-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt
I'm just wondering if they crack and break because the manifold slip joints freeze up and the manifold can no longer expand and contract like its supposed to?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  did some prodding around and turns out there are 2 broken bolts, both the bolts for the cylinder closest to the fire wall. The top one was laying on top of the exhaust manifold a few days ago, today I grabbed the bottom one and literally just pulled it right out!! What would cause these to just break off by themselves?

this is why...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid39699

I have the tool and have done this a few times.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  $780.00 shipped

for $780, that ridiculous. A person can just drill out some angle iron to fit a bolt hole or 2 and tack-weld on a drill-bit guide, make their own for a few bucks!. -- https://amzn.to/36mDYyN

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , tree98
11-02-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
I agree with Rawze, 780 is way too much money... But i do wish i used a jig when i had to Helicoil one of my holes.... It did not go in perfectly straight =( luckily it seems to still be holding for now (60,000miles). Though the though of ruining my head due to not making a jig for that makes me feel stupid..

My other advise is - Look At The over all condition of the manifold!!! if its rusted to hell maybe its time for a new one. I had brand new bolts brake me a few times, I lost threads in the head because of the stress/tension of just that one bolt holding things together. I followed all of the torque procedures, new bolt, and reaming recommendations. I found that the surface area where the spacers meet the manifold were just beyond repair for mine

User's Signature: I may be cross eyed, but i don’t cross thread
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
11-02-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
I thought it was ridiculous also, unless you break off 8 bolts and have to drill them out, then it kinda seems like a deal, lol. I won't need it anyway, I only had to get the two already broken ones out because I didn't break anymore. One came right out , the other I had to drill through it and crush the sides in until I could work it out, wasn't fun but I got it.

replyreply
11-05-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
Update... I put the manifold back on and was torqueing the bolts to 45 lb. as quickserve says. I got to the one I had to drill out and as it got tighter it all of the sudden got easier to turn, uh oh, apparantly I boogered up the threads a little to much to straighten out with a tap.Soooooo after some close examination I realized the bolts don't go the full distance of the threaded hole in the head. Theres about 5/16" of thread that the bolt doesn't reach. So I cut 5/16" off of the spacer on a lathe and torqued it down to 45 lb. No problem. I'm thinking I dodged a bullet here but I guess time will tell??

replyreply
11-05-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
(11-05-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Update... I put the manifold back on and was torqueing the bolts to 45 lb. as quickserve says. I got to the one I had to drill out and as it got tighter it all of the sudden got easier to turn, uh oh, apparantly I boogered up the threads a little to much to straighten out with a tap.Soooooo after some close examination I realized the bolts don't go the full distance of the threaded hole in the head. Theres about 5/16" of thread that the bolt doesn't reach. So I cut 5/16" off of the spacer on a lathe and torqued it down to 45 lb. No problem. I'm thinking I dodged a bullet here but I guess time will tell??

it will be fine. go drive it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
11-06-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  What you guys think about this thing?

https://www.brokenbolt.com/cummins-isx-b...t-demo.php

Its specifically for broken isx exhaust manifold bolts. I talked to the guy that makes them, he said it takes 8 minutes to drill a broken bolt out with this thing. He guarantees it to work, it's not cheap but either is a new head if you screw it up.

I Have this tool at the house. Paid the almost $800 for it and it worked like a charm. Set the drill bit stop so u don't drill to far and put a coil in the hole and ur done.
replyreply
11-06-2019, (Subject: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt ) 
(11-06-2019 )Pete1990 Wrote:  
(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  What you guys think about this thing?

https://www.brokenbolt.com/cummins-isx-b...t-demo.php

Its specifically for broken isx exhaust manifold bolts. I talked to the guy that makes them, he said it takes 8 minutes to drill a broken bolt out with this thing. He guarantees it to work, it's not cheap but either is a new head if you screw it up.

I Have this tool at the house. Paid the almost $800 for it and it worked like a charm. Set the drill bit stop so u don't drill to far and put a coil in the hole and ur done.

I would have bought it if I snapped off a bunch of the bolts. Since I had just one to get out I decided against it. Truth be told I wish I would have just bought it. Good tools are expensive, that's just the reality.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.