Volvo heated mirrors
11-01-2019, (Subject: Volvo heated mirrors ) 
Volvo heated mirrors
Ok Volvo guys and gals, 2012 VNL, mirror heater button blinks when I turn it on but mirrors don’t heat up at all. Fuses are good. Seems like the light on the mirror heater button used to come on solid when you turned them on, then begin blinking after 10 minutes or so. Now it just blinks from the start.

I have a hard time believing both heating elements would quit at the same time, so I am suspecting the switch cluster with all the mirror, window and lock controls in the driver’s door?

Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Volvo heated mirrors
It's stay solid about 2seconds then start blinking once per second. Heater working. 2013 Volvo.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(11-01-2019 )JMBT Wrote:  Ok Volvo guys and gals, 2012 VNL, mirror heater button blinks when I turn it on but mirrors don’t heat up at all. Fuses are good. Seems like the light on the mirror heater button used to come on solid when you turned them on, then begin blinking after 10 minutes or so. Now it just blinks from the start.

I have a hard time believing both heating elements would quit at the same time, so I am suspecting the switch cluster with all the mirror, window and lock controls in the driver’s door?

Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mirror heat on the Volvo works in two different ways. If you press and release quickly the mirror heat will come on at 75% and go off after about 30 minutes. The light will blink in this mode. If you press and hold the button for over 1 second the heater will come on at 100% and stay on until you turn off or switch the truck off.

That being said if everything quit all at once you can check behind the cowl panel for broken wires. That's the panel between the door and hood. Either that or the broken wire may be in the cluster of harness you see when you open the door. I think the cowl panel would be easier as there is more room to work.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , JMBT
Thanks for the replies guys! I am embarrassed to say, but I have been a Volvo owner for a lot of years and had no idea there were two modes!! Great info! I will do some checking behind the cowl, and also under the door panel for a broken wires, loose connectors, and the like. Probably will be the beginning of next week before I have the time, but I’ll report back my findings.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(11-01-2019 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks for the replies guys! I am embarrassed to say, but I have been a Volvo owner for a lot of years and had no idea there were two modes!! Great info! I will do some checking behind the cowl, and also under the door panel for a broken wires, loose connectors, and the like. Probably will be the beginning of next week before I have the time, but I’ll report back my findings.
I got some new to learn too. Never paid attention for how long button was pressed.
Do you know how to open mirror? It's simple but many people end with mirror cowling broken.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(11-01-2019 )snailexpress Wrote:  I got some new to learn too. Never paid attention for how long button was pressed.
Do you know how to open mirror? It's simple but many people end with mirror cowling broken.

To remove the mirror glass set the mirror in a centered position with the top of the mirror sticking out farther than the mirror head then gently pry upward. The big glass and the small glass are mounted on sliding tabs. I would probably remove the mirror glass and check for power there before removing the cowl panel. The cowl panel can be "difficult" getting it out from behind the door.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
Before removing anything from the mirrors make sure your mirror switch on the drivers side isn't bad.
replyreply
(11-01-2019 )kryten Wrote:  
(11-01-2019 )snailexpress Wrote:  I got some new to learn too. Never paid attention for how long button was pressed.

To remove the mirror glass set the mirror in a centered position with the top of the mirror sticking out farther than the mirror head then gently pry upward. The big glass and the small glass are mounted on sliding tabs. I would probably remove the mirror glass and check for power there before removing the cowl panel. The cowl panel can be "difficult" getting it out from behind the door.
You can remove just convex mirror. Less you sliding the flat one the longer it not shaking in slides.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.