How can I tell if my fuel pump has been updated?
11-01-2019, (Subject: How can I tell if my fuel pump has been updated? ) 
How can I tell if my fuel pump has been updated?
I am a new owner operator (may of 2019). I have a 2012 peterbilt 587 with Cummins isx15 cm2250. The man I bought it from said it had a new fuel pump (I think he meant rebuilt) he was very hard to understand. Is there a way for me to know for sure? The fuel lines look at if it has been worked on but that doesn't mean it's been rebuilt. It is painted red like the rest of the engine.
replyreply
RE: How can I tell if my fuel pump has been updated?
only way to tell is to assume the thing was only partially done, pull it apart and replace all the guts yourself. -- take no chances on that fuel pump of death.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard
you could always just take it apart and look - takes less than a hour and the pump gasket is less than 50 bucks.... you can tell right away by looking at the internals if its been done.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , redbeard
11-02-2019, (Subject: How can I tell if my fuel pump has been updated? ) 
Like others said, spend the little time and money to remove the head and verify for yourself. The solid pins which secure and allow the roller to operate will look like these shown in the pic. They will be solid and able to move freely in and out of the roller. Guys, correct me if I’m wrong please, but the updated model has a DLC coating on that pin to prevent the wear the past ones experienced.

While it’s out, have a look inside the barrel to veirify there is no premature wear as well as the cam lobes all the way at the bottom of the barrel ( this is what the rollers ride on ). All very critical components that have bankrupted many....

Also, if you decide to tackle this, be sure the alignment pins that are located inside the fuel pump body, are oriented correctly. Make note when you’re removing and be sure to install in the same manner. The pin will ride in the groove located on the body of the roller assembly (again, see the pic for where the groove is machined).

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
11-05-2019, (Subject: How can I tell if my fuel pump has been updated? ) 
(11-01-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  you could always just take it apart and look - takes less than a hour and the pump gasket is less than 50 bucks.... you can tell right away by looking at the internals if its been done.
Are you talking a hour to get it out and a hour back in or a hour to do the whole job?
replyreply
Could you buy everything for the rebuild and have it if you need it and return it if you don't? Do dealers take stuff back? Should I buy it from a Cummins store or the peterbilt store?
replyreply
Not to scare you but you better make damn sure those alignment pins are right on the plungers . It will go back together if it’s wrong. Make sure when you put plungers in that they cannot spin in the barrel. You can feel it if it’s right, after looking at it you will know what I’m talking about.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billy7871
(11-05-2019 )Billy7871 Wrote:  
(11-01-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  you could always just take it apart and look - takes less than a hour and the pump gasket is less than 50 bucks.... you can tell right away by looking at the internals if its been done.
Are you talking a hour to get it out and a hour back in or a hour to do the whole job?

hour to get it out and inspect it if your new. gotta drink that beer after inspection!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: iceman

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.