Pressure testing CM870
11-02-2019, (Subject: Pressure testing CM870 ) 
Pressure testing CM870

Awhile back Rawze said to pressurize the whole motor to 30 psi. I started gathering pieces to do just that

So, tonight I started seeing what I could see.

Air came pissing out right away from the joint where the turbo clamp is. Put the exhaust back together, started the truck, and there was some exhaust leaking on the bottom of the pipe by the clamp. The exhaust flange and clamp is less than 3-4 weeks old, I just had it repaired. It did seem to lessen as it warmed up, and I don’t see soot streaks.

I’ll try to isolate the CAC tomorrow and see what that’s doing.

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb
RE: Pressure testing CM870
How do you have the other end of the system blocked off. Pictures are great, need more of them.

Maybe a list of what all is needed to do this.
My truck will only make 30psi of boost, need to check mine.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
(11-02-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  How do you have the other end of the system blocked off. Pictures are great, need more of them.

That’s where I’m starting.... Rawze said “pressurize the motor to 30 psi”. Maybe not an exact quote but close enough

There wasn’t much instruction on specifics. So I’m starting the journey and hopefully others will chime in as we go

replyreply
11-03-2019, (Subject: Pressure testing CM870 ) 
(11-02-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  How do you have the other end of the system blocked off. Pictures are great, need more of them.

If you pressurize the hot side of the turbo and block off the clean air intake on the turbo(port that connects to air filter housing) that should do it right? That's pressurizing the entire engine including the CAC.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
Here is the pressure testing kit I have, two fixtures or plugs, a bit pricey but much easier than removing and taking it in.

https://amzn.to/2PJLTAC
replyreply
(11-03-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Here is the pressure testing kit I have, two fixtures or plugs, a bit pricey but much easier than removing and taking it in.

That's just for testing the CAC though, not the entire engine.

replyreply
(11-03-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  
(11-03-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  Here is the pressure testing kit I have, two fixtures or plugs, a bit pricey but much easier than removing and taking it in.

Correct, I have other gear for that. You can never have enough diagnostic equipment with these trucks, that is for sure. What a nightmare. I feel like more of a diesel mechanic than a professional truck driver, especially now with the ELD, now I am a mechanic that holds a steering wheel.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
(11-03-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(11-03-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  

Correct, I have other gear for that. You can never have enough diagnostic equipment with these trucks, that is for sure. What a nightmare. I feel like more of a diesel mechanic than a professional truck driver, especially now with the ELD, now I am a mechanic that holds a steering wheel.

You need to have doubles endorsement so you can pull a trailer full of tools and diagnostic equip. and a trailer of freight behind that.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Nostalgic

That’s what I made up. Couple pieces of 4” exhaust pipe, with the ends capped. One end I had a bung welded in for an airline fitting. That should do the CAC.

The other piece for the turbo is just a turbo exhaust flange.

I used air line fittings and a pressure regulator from Napa and made my own pressure tool

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.