Pressure testing CM870
11-03-2019, (Subject: Pressure testing CM870 ) 
RE: Pressure testing CM870
Now you just need to fashion something to block off the 6" intake pipe on the turbo. Then all you have to do to pressurize the whole system, including the CAC, is remove the turbo intake temp sensor and hook your pressure regulator in. Then pump in on up.
replyreply
(11-03-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  How do you have the other end of the system blocked off. Pictures are great, need more of them.

Maybe a list of what all is needed to do this.
My truck will only make 30psi of boost, need to check mine.

That’s what I made up. Couple pieces of 4” exhaust pipe, with the ends capped. One end I had a bung welded in for an airline fitting. That should do the CAC.

The other piece for the turbo is just a turbo exhaust flange.

I used air line fittings and a pressure regulator from Napa and made my own pressure tool

I need to learn how to weld...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
^^^^^ I second that ^^^^^

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I built all my tester out of pvc figured if the glues good for 60-90 psi water good enough for 20-30 of air. Just drilled/tapped the caps for pressure regulator then put a washer and retaining nut on inside of pipe on regulator then glued and clamped boots on them

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(11-03-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  I built all my tester out of pvc figured if the glues good for 60-90 psi water good enough for 20-30 of air. Just drilled/tapped the caps for pressure regulator then put a washer and retaining nut on inside of pipe on regulator then glued and clamped boots on them

just a word of caution on PVC...

Never ever assume that since PVC can hold 60 - 90 psi of water, will it hold the same in only air pressure.

I have seen many many PVC pipes explode and it can put you in the hospital or kill someone. i goes off like a stick of dynamite. - seen that mistake so many times in machine and mechanics shops where they cheap out and use PVC for their air supply, it is not even funny.

20-30 psi, not too harmful, but don't expect it be anything near safe with higher pressures.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Waterloo , 2dlb
11-04-2019, (Subject: Pressure testing CM870 ) 
(11-03-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  I built all my tester out of pvc figured if the glues good for 60-90 psi water good enough for 20-30 of air. Just drilled/tapped the caps for pressure regulator then put a washer and retaining nut on inside of pipe on regulator then glued and clamped boots on them

(11-03-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  just a word of caution on PVC...

Never ever assume that since PVC can hold 60 - 90 psi of water, will it hold the same in only air pressure.

I have seen many many PVC pipes explode and it can put you in the hospital or kill someone. i goes off like a stick of dynamite. - seen that mistake so many times in machine and mechanics shops where they cheap out and use PVC for their air supply, it is not even funny.

20-30 psi, not too harmful, but don't expect it be anything near safe with higher pressures.

one thing to remember, PVC is made for pressurized water, not air...
water DOES NOT compress (in volume), so pressurized water is the equivalent to one volume of said pipe volume. upon release of pressure, aka a failure, as soon as the compressed solid escapes teh confines of the pipe, the release event is over...and yo have a water leak.

however, let us not forget that boyle's law tells us that in an ideal gas, pressure is relative to volume! so its not the same thing as a compressible solid/liquid...30 psi of air is 3 ATA, or twice the volume of said same pipe volume, so upon said failure, you have THREE TIMES the volume yet to escape...yes that means the release event becomes violent...exponentially so! take that same pipe and pressurize it to 90 psi, and you've now doubled the 3 ATA to 6! that means 6 TIMES the volume of said pipe to escape the failure!!! in other words the release event can safely be described as an explosion!!!

remember kids, science is fun...but it can be dangerous!!!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , 2dlb
(11-03-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Now you just need to fashion something to block off the 6" intake pipe on the turbo. Then all you have to do to pressurize the whole system, including the CAC, is remove the turbo intake temp sensor and hook your pressure regulator in. Then pump in on up.

Just so I’m following along....which I think I am....

Block off the turbo air intake 6”....yup, that makes sense

Remove turbo intake sensor....that’s gotta be the one circled?

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
(11-03-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(11-03-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 )Mattman Wrote:  How do you have the other end of the system blocked off. Pictures are great, need more of them.

Maybe a list of what all is needed to do this.
My truck will only make 30psi of boost, need to check mine.

That’s what I made up. Couple pieces of 4” exhaust pipe, with the ends capped. One end I had a bung welded in for an airline fitting. That should do the CAC.

The other piece for the turbo is just a turbo exhaust flange.

I used air line fittings and a pressure regulator from Napa and made my own pressure tool

I need to learn how to weld...

$10 at the exhaust shop for the 4” pipe and plugs.... $25 for the welder down the road to TIG weld the plugs in and weld in the bung for me...

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I try not to be anywhere near the plugs even with rawze's good ones he has I don't trust things just stuck into a hole as I've seen 200psi steam hoses and 100psi camlock hoses blow their certified ends in low earth orbit. Cool to see but the thoughts of whatif one my guys or me were near were terrifying as a supervisor.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.