Front axle weight?
11-19-2019, (Subject: Front axle weight? ) 
RE: Front axle weight?
Thanks for all the replies on Thursday I am going to a spring shop and they are going to add a leaf to each side and recertify the front axle to 14k I already had my cab card changed to reflect the change. I also moved my 5th wheel back 2 bolt holes on the frame.and new load range H tires with a 7100 lb rating.
I'm sure all the weight is tanks foward APU, and headache rack with chains and binders. I hope by doing all this I can eliminate this problem in the future I have had this truck 3 years and never had an issue, then I run into a Rouge DOT cop who stated he can get every prostar and Volvo overweight on their front axle. And to boot when I called the tire shop 3 miles away the girl who answered the phone asked if I was needing load range H... the tire guy stayed he sells a ton of them. Tell me that's not a scam. But in all honesty I was over on my steers.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(11-19-2019 )earnies2 Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies on Thursday I am going to a spring shop and they are going to add a leaf to each side and recertify the front axle to 14k I already had my cab card changed to reflect the change. I also moved my 5th wheel back 2 bolt holes on the frame.and new load range H tires with a 7100 lb rating.
I'm sure all the weight is tanks foward APU, and headache rack with chains and binders. I hope by doing all this I can eliminate this problem in the future I have had this truck 3 years and never had an issue, then I run into a Rouge DOT cop who stated he can get every prostar and Volvo overweight on their front axle. And to boot when I called the tire shop 3 miles away the girl who answered the phone asked if I was needing load range H... the tire guy stayed he sells a ton of them. Tell me that's not a scam. But in all honesty I was over on my steers.

Ernie, how much did the shop charge to add that leaf spring? Same boat here, curious as to the cost.
replyreply
I havent been there yet I will update after Thursday
replyreply
(11-19-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(11-19-2019 )earnies2 Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies on Thursday I am going to a spring shop and they are going to add a leaf to each side and recertify the front axle to 14k I already had my cab card changed to reflect the change. I also moved my 5th wheel back 2 bolt holes on the frame.and new load range H tires with a 7100 lb rating.

Ernie, how much did the shop charge to add that leaf spring? Same boat here, curious as to the cost.
I rebuilt the springs on my Prostar Feb 2018. If I remember correctly the factory springs are like 5000 lbs per side. I talked with ATS Springs in Pa and they made me a set. 6350 lbs per side the good bushing and hanger bushings. New U bolts and the one inch blocks to lower the front was 853 with shipping to NC. It did add a little weight but the ride and the way it handles is so much better. But ATS Springs did a great job.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I can attest to to this. I moved my fw back when I switched companies because of the difference in weight in the trailers. I am usually just over 12k, even bobtail. I noticed with my old fw setting I was now close to 12800 loaded and 12400 unloaded. I moved it back because I already have a rather high ride height and elevated fw since I pull tanks. Its not uncommon to be overweight on the drives with certain tanks...I moved it back 2 notches, which got me just over 12040 lbs close to 80k gross, but it sure made the truck alot more twitchy.

Id love to run a crash bar, but thatll just end up making the nose that much heavier. Hell I already weigh over 21600+ bobtail.

Moving my tanks or tripac backwards is not an option since the bracketry for the side panels takes up the space.

Ricky, what did your spring job cost you?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(11-19-2019 )dhirocz Wrote:  I can attest to to this. I moved my fw back when I switched companies because of the difference in weight in the trailers. I am usually just over 12k, even bobtail. I noticed with my old fw setting I was now close to 12800 loaded and 12400 unloaded. I moved it back because I already have a rather high ride height and elevated fw since I pull tanks. Its not uncommon to be overweight on the drives with certain tanks...I moved it back 2 notches, which got me just over 12040 lbs close to 80k gross, but it sure made the truck alot more twitchy.

Id love to run a crash bar, but thatll just end up making the nose that much heavier. Hell I already weigh over 21600+ bobtail.

Moving my tanks or tripac backwards is not an option since the bracketry for the side panels takes up the space.

The new springs with the good bushings and hanger bushings. New U bolts, one inch blocks and shipping was 853.00. The springs were 560.00 with out shipping. I did the one inch blocks in place of those big factory ones. I wanted the front end lower. I also unbolted my fifth wheel and moved it back and I keep it slide all the way back. The truck is 21500 bobtail. But it's stretched, roof mount a/c, Hatz generator, headache rack and all that good stuff.
replyreply
(11-19-2019 )Ricky Wrote:  
(11-19-2019 )dhirocz Wrote:  I can attest to to this. I moved my fw back when I switched companies because of the difference in weight in the trailers. I am usually just over 12k, even bobtail. I noticed with my old fw setting I was now close to 12800 loaded and 12400 unloaded. I moved it back because I already have a rather high ride height and elevated fw since I pull tanks. Its not uncommon to be overweight on the drives with certain tanks...I moved it back 2 notches, which got me just over 12040 lbs close to 80k gross, but it sure made the truck alot more twitchy.

The new springs with the good bushings and hanger bushings. New U bolts, one inch blocks and shipping was 853.00. The springs were 560.00 with out shipping. I did the one inch blocks in place of those big factory ones. I wanted the front end lower. I also unbolted my fifth wheel and moved it back and I keep it slide all the way back. The truck is 21500 bobtail. But it's stretched, roof mount a/c, Hatz generator, headache rack and all that good stuff.
A friend and I put them on at his place. But ATS does have a shop in Pa and they do install.
replyreply
I went thru Georgia a couple of months ago, all they were weighing was front axles. Front axle was good you got the go ahead light

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
i dont see a scam i see a DOT officer who found what he likes to pick on and he is right in doing so if the weight is there you need the properly rated tires to handle it. same reason most companie fleese's control your maintenance account for the most part and ive heard so many people bitch that they force them to use 16ply tires when they want to put on 14 ply or whatever because their cheaper. the only thing i wish the DOT would do more is go into the cities with all these local delivery trucks for places like lowes/menards/homeless despot and all others and DOT them. i swear almost every lowes ive delivered at that had one of their trucks by the building had drag radials for tires. ive even talked to some of the drivers that say the trucks wander all over the road at highway speed because the front ends are shot and the company will only replace parts and have stuff fixed when they are forced to.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.