Davco filter upgrade
11-04-2019, (Subject: Davco filter upgrade ) 
Davco filter upgrade

Maybe this is common knowledge and I’m late to the party...

There’s two sizes of filters for the Davco 382. One is 3 3/4” diameter and the other is 4 1/4” diameter.

Both fit in the same filter housing, no special housing needed. This is my first time with the larger filter, I’m interested to see if it does a better job/lasts longer

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , barf , Toolguy
11-16-2019, (Subject: Davco filter upgrade ) 
RE: Davco filter upgrade

Two weeks and roughly 3500 miles and she’s full. I don’t think that’s any better than the smaller filters.

replyreply
I don't even think about using anything other than fleetguard filter on fuel and oil. Cummins owns them, Cummins makes them for the engine that they build. Best to trust the guys who have the biggest investment in the product succeeding.

Air filters on the other hand. Meh, cheepies changed often seems to work for me.
replyreply
(11-16-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Two weeks and roughly 3500 miles and she’s full. I don’t think that’s any better than the smaller filters.

I use a 10 micron fleetguard filter. It clogs up at about 18-20k miles or more, unless I get some bad fuel somewhere.

If yours is clogged up that fast,... something in your fuel system or tanks is very wrong!.

The filter is doing its job!... find out what is wrong!.

In the mean time, get some spare 10 micron filters / replace them often, maybe use some algicide!. The problem will eventually get solved.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Toolguy
(11-16-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-16-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  Two weeks and roughly 3500 miles and she’s full. I don’t think that’s any better than the smaller filters.

I use a 10 micron fleetguard filter. It clogs up at about 18-20k miles or more, unless I get some bad fuel somewhere.

If yours is clogged up that fast,... something in your fuel system or tanks is very wrong!.

In the mean time, get some spare 10 micron filters / replace them often, maybe use some algicide!. The problem will eventually get solved.

Do you use an algicide all year long? As prevention?

replyreply
(11-16-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  

I have never had to use the stuff. I use big bottle of diesel-kleen once a month though half in each tank. - I always fill my tanks to the top when fuelling so that moisture cannot set in. i also have always used 10 micron or 7 micron filters to keep the system really clean. - On the other hand, a lot of people will drive around with low fuel tanks all the time will have algae issues because every time their windshield fogs up, so does the inside of the fuel tanks if they are not mostly full.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
(11-16-2019 )DDlighttruck Wrote:  

I have never had to use the stuff. I use big bottle of diesel-kleen once a month though half in each tank. - I always fill my tanks to the top when fuelling so that moisture cannot set in. i also have always used 10 micron or 7 micron filters to keep the system really clean. - On the other hand, a lot of people will drive around with low fuel tanks all the time will have algae issues because every time their windshield fogs up, so does the inside of the fuel tanks if they are not mostly full.
Interesting. I’ve always ran a 7 micron in the Davco. Donaldson said the engine fuel filter is a 25 micron, the spin on metal one.
What’s odd is CAT tested my fuel back in the spring, when it was dark and gross, they give it two thumbs up as good fuel

So if there’s something wrong with the fuel, CAT didn’t find it. But I did have it sampled

replyreply
I find that sad,.. but not surprising.

Is the bottom of your fuel tanks black? -- Mine have no trace of anything black at the bottom.

It could be gunk or something else leaching out from the walls or bottom of the tanks?.

replyreply
(11-16-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  I find that sad,.. but not surprising.

Is the bottom of your fuel tanks black? -- Mine have no trace of anything black at the bottom.

It could be gunk or something else leaching out from the walls or bottom of the tanks?.

Both tanks are completely coated on the inside with a black film, not just the bottom

I’ve ran that diesel-kleen through before a few times, the Killem seems to help

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.