Detroit 14 Ltr emissions
11-06-2019, (Subject: Detroit 14 Ltr emissions ) 
Detroit 14 Ltr emissions
Well yesterday we had a triaxle dump stopped and ticketed by the MOE for excessive smoke, the engine is a 2006 EGR Detroit 14 Ltr. The officer said that it would intermittently through a short cuff of smoke. The driver tried to explain that it always does when u change gears. This ticket removes the truck from the road immediately and we can't put it in service until it's corrected. So I spent last night checking fuel,boost pressures,charged the air to air,no leaks, check for fault codes ,none, ran Detroit software file is original, changed air and fuel filters, finally decided to take it to a drive clean test Center and it passes. 13% opacity and the a. Allowable is 30. I have talked to a bunch of good techs I know today and we all feel that this is normal operation for this engine. It's agreed that the advent of dpf eliminates this. Any thoughts, thank you
replyreply
RE: Detroit 14 Ltr emissions
Move out of California

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
Lol. No believe it or not we're north of the border. They really went over the truck looking for block plates and even had a temp gun on the EGR pipe. None of our trucks are deleted and thankfully to Rawze and a few others this forum has really helped to understand these engines and I hope by this winter at overhaul we can go through the whole bunch and resolve a bunch of issues
replyreply
The ddec v is a egr only engine, it puffs black like any other engine out there cause it doesnt have a dpf or anything...... what a bunch if idiots.

Where in Canada did this happen?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb
11-07-2019, (Subject: Detroit 14 Ltr emissions ) 
I can guarantee this happened in Ontario, they are on the war path, with trucks an emissions
replyreply
That is insane, all of these EGR only motors will chuff that black smoke, it is a diesel. But, the sad part, they will be coming for us all here pretty soon as these morons figure out they can extract more money out of us with the emission nonsense.
replyreply
My 05 14 liter was puffing smoke. A new V pod, delta P sensor and 2 new sensors on the top of the intake manifold got it running right.
replyreply
(11-06-2019 )2dlb Wrote:  Well yesterday we had a triaxle dump stopped and ticketed by the MOE for excessive smoke, the engine is a 2006 EGR Detroit 14 Ltr. The officer said that it would intermittently through a short cuff of smoke. The driver tried to explain that it always does when u change gears. This ticket removes the truck from the road immediately and we can't put it in service until it's corrected. So I spent last night checking fuel,boost pressures,charged the air to air,no leaks, check for fault codes ,none, ran Detroit software file is original, changed air and fuel filters, finally decided to take it to a drive clean test Center and it passes. 13% opacity and the a. Allowable is 30. I have talked to a bunch of good techs I know today and we all feel that this is normal operation for this engine. It's agreed that the advent of dpf eliminates this. Any thoughts, thank you

In this case because it is EGR only, have a Detroit certified shop verify that nothing is out of order on your engine, and is in proper compliance with the year of manufacture and write a letter stating such, a short conversation with the prosecutor should have them drop this citation.
Keep a copy of this letter on file, and ask the prosecutor if they will provide something stating that this is obviously an error on the officers part on file...

You're making me not want to go back to ON, and I'm supposed to go bring a rebuilt component for a mill back to Vancouver Island shortly...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
What is going on in ON that they seem hell bent on finding "altered" trucks?

Almost seems to me like possibly the mega's in ON are privately getting enforcement to crack down on the little guys just trying to have reliable trucks to help eliminate us as competition because we offer a flexibility the can't because of thier own internal bureaucracy...

I know I read an article a few years ago with an interview of one of the ON mega fleets, and this was something he specifically said in the interview. Almost seems too possible to be a coincidence to me...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.