2011 cm 871 turbo
11-10-2019, (Subject: 2011 cm 871 turbo ) 
2011 cm 871 turbo
i have a resent rebuilt cm 871 the truck runs perfect couple days ago under a load i started smelling something weird so i pulled over to inspect the truck every thing looked fine until i got to the passenger side of the truck and saw that there was oil coming from the turbo and the charge air cooler i then took pipeing off turbo to inspect.. the front side looked good the fan had no oil on or around it and there was very little play.. the piping from the turbo to the air to air had oil.. called my local mechanic he came out looked at an told me to run the truck i cant make my self do it so i ordered a new one .. when changing turbo is it just a take off and put on or has it got to be programed it has a actuator ..
replyreply
RE: 2011 cm 871 turbo
How much oil are we talking about here? It can be very dangerous to keep running a truck like that, Google "diesel runaway". You'll need to get that oil out of your CAC, take it out pressurize and check for leaks while its out. Yes you'll need insite to set electronic actuator.

PS get a new mechanic!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: pingpong1984 , Waterloo
Need insite for actuator

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
its not that much oil leaking but its leaking mechanic said its the very begining stage of the turbo going out. thats why i was worried tomorrow i will have the cac taken off and cleaned .....

thanks for your reply.
replyreply
(11-10-2019 )pingpong1984 Wrote:  i have a resent rebuilt cm 871 the truck runs perfect couple days ago under a load i started smelling something weird so i pulled over to inspect the truck every thing looked fine until i got to the passenger side of the truck and saw that there was oil coming from the turbo and the charge air cooler i then took pipeing off turbo to inspect.. the front side looked good the fan had no oil on or around it and there was very little play.. the piping from the turbo to the air to air had oil.. called my local mechanic he came out looked at an told me to run the truck i cant make my self do it so i ordered a new one .. when changing turbo is it just a take off and put on or has it got to be programed it has a actuator ..

depends on how much it is leaking actually...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid37714

you can buy 10 remans,.. 7 of 10 of them will weep oil if you idle a lot. It is common and knows as "turbo slobber". It is not a rubber 0-ring, but more like a piston ring type of seal in them. - It is nothing unusual, especially on a reman turbo.

Personally, just like your mechanic said,.. if you have been idling a lot, or if the truck sat for several weeks and now your running it again,.. it may just be that ... nothing to worry about at all.

-- On the other hand, if it is suddenly leaking a lot, and getting the intake side of the engine wet too,.. it could be failing, and this is a dangerous situation like others have mentioned.

if the turbo is old,.. 400k+ miles old, and ready for a rebuild, a lot of guys on here have had good luck sending their turbo to YTS in griffin,ga and getting it rebuilt for about half the price of a OE one.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Also, you probably have a leaking rubber boot, or other leak of some kind if you have oil dripping out.That will need fixed also.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I have had two reman Cummins turbos on my motor, CM-871, both slobbered oil like pigs right out of the box. When I was at Rawze's, Mr Hagg recommended YTS Turbo there in Griffin as Rawze stated above. I had a new turbo back the next day, it has been what, nearly two years? I was just in there the other day getting ready for winter, dry as a bone, the way it should be. And as Rawze said, half the price of the Cummins reman. Call YTS in Griffin GA, don't waste your money with Cummins. YTS also has reman actuators, if yours is looking questionable, I would order one of those too. I know the gal that rebuilds them, and she does excellent work.
replyreply
11-11-2019, (Subject: 2011 cm 871 turbo ) 
thanks for the info guys ...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.