Your windshield and extreme cold weather... MUST READ!
11-12-2019, (Subject: Your windshield and extreme cold weather... MUST READ! ) 
Your windshield and extreme cold weather... MUST READ!
In the 20's here, just went out to start the truck, I saw the defroster was on, don't do that!

I turned it immediately to floor heat to let my cold interior warm from the floor up, as heat rises.

Here is why... If you have a stone chip or small crack in your windshield, do not run the defrost to warm the truck in this extreme cold, use the floor heat. If you don't, you risk losing your windshield. That little stone chip or small crack has the very real potential of spider webbing across your entire windshield from the sudden heat. It has happened to me in the past, and when I say it spiderwebbed, it went the entire length and width of my windshield, it looked like someone took a ball bat to it.

Just thought I would throw that out there, especially for you guys down south that normally do not see these temps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , david24 , Toolguy
RE: Your windshield and extreme cold weather... MUST READ!
(11-12-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  In the 20's here, just went out to start the truck, I saw the defroster was on, don't do that!

I turned it immediately to floor heat to let my cold interior warm from the floor up, as heat rises.

Here is why... If you have a stone chip or small crack in your windshield, do not run the defrost to warm the truck in this extreme cold, use the floor heat. If you don't, you risk losing your windshield. That little stone chip or small crack has the very real potential of spider webbing across your entire windshield from the sudden heat. It has happened to me in the past, and when I say it spiderwebbed, it went the entire length and width of my windshield, it looked like someone took a ball bat to it.

Just thought I would throw that out there, especially for you guys down south that normally do not see these temps.

YEARS ago the place I was working at, we had an ice storm. The boss’s wife had a van, we brought it in the shop to thaw out. The boss said fill a bucket of hot water and throw it on the windshield to melt the ice.

Just as I was about to toss the water, one of the older guys pulled me aside and stopped me.

One of those cases of “the boss told me to but that’s not a good idea”

Same principle as you’re saying about the defrost

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
RE: Your windshield and extreme cold weather... MUST READ!
That happened to my brand new volvo! Just snapped the windshield....

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.