CM2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Help
11-13-2019, (Subject: CM2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Help ) 
CM2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Help
I'm beginning to think I bit off more than I can chew with this one. I got the rebuild parts from and have some time so I started this project today. I was under the impression I could remove the head of the fuel pump without removing the pump from the truck. Am I wrong on this? I've got the fuel lines removed but can't get at the electrical connection and also can't get to the tappet guide pin plugs. Unfortunately I'm at a point where can't turn back but the truck is in my heated shop. I may have to get someone to help me.
replyreply
RE: CM2350 Fuel Pump Rebuild Help
you do not have to remove the pump from the truck.

The electrical connector at the HPA (actuator on the pump) is glued and heat shrunk together. Follow the wires back towards the block you will find a connector further down to unplug.

you do not need to go anywhere near the guide pin plugs when removing the head. The tappets have machined grooves in them that let them pull out of the bore when the pump head is off.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Golfnut , schISM , DSTdriver
(11-13-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  you do not have to remove the pump from the truck.

The electrical connector at the HPA (actuator on the pump) is glued and heat shrunk together. Follow the wires back towards the block you will find a connector further down to unplug.

you do not need to go anywhere near the guide pin plugs when removing the head. The tappets have machined grooves in them that let them pull out of the bore when the pump head is off.

Thanks Unilevers. I did find the electrical connection and got that removed. I'm closer to getting the head off but the fuel line in the front of the pump does not want to come out of the fitting!
replyreply
(11-13-2019 )Golfnut Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  you do not have to remove the pump from the truck.

Thanks Unilevers. I did find the electrical connection and got that removed. I'm closer to getting the head off but the fuel line in the front of the pump does not want to come out of the fitting!

follow the high pressure outlet line up and you will see a little block that holds it down with 2 bolts in it. You have to remove that little block to get enough room to get the output lineout of the pump head fitting.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver
(11-13-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  
(11-13-2019 )Golfnut Wrote:  

follow the high pressure outlet line up and you will see a little block that holds it down with 2 bolts in it. You have to remove that little block to get enough room to get the output lineout of the pump head fitting.

Ok. I see the block. I'm having a hard time getting the bolts loose but I'll keep working at it.
replyreply
If at first you don't succeed......get a bigger wrench! I got it out. Thanks Unilevers.
replyreply
I'm just putting the head back on the pump. I replaced the guts and was very happy to see that they all look good but the rollers were still the original brass ones so I'm very glad I did the rebuild. FYI....Parts cost me $400 at the local dealership.
replyreply
Great to see you got it done. I've done two in the last week. One did have to come out of the truck completely. Good time to change the power steering filter and fluid if you have a truck with the line in the way.
replyreply
I just got it put back together and started it up. I was real nervous about starting it up! But it runs like its supposed to and I don't see any leaks.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.