What speed are you driving? And where.......
11-14-2019, (Subject: What speed are you driving? And where....... ) 
What speed are you driving? And where.......
I read yall talking about driving some crazy slow speeds to maximize fuel mileage but I've always thought yall Americans must be just fu$#ing nuts or something.

I wanted to ask, when you say your cruising along at 55mph are you mainly referring to double lane interstate driving or do you guys do that on the secondary single lane highways as well?

A single lane where I live has a 100km speed limit and I could not imagine driving 88km on it for the life of me! On a double lane it's easy for cars to get by without impeding traffic but on a busy single lane, I'd consider that a road hazard.

That being said there are companies that do travel slow I guess, westcan used to be governed at 100km with mack 465hp engines hauling 140,000lbs.m (try getting behind them on every damn hill) and maybe Arrow pulp is governed at 90km or so.......

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
RE: What speed are you driving? And where.......
2 lane speed limits are 55 in alot of states until you get west of I29 then you get 65-70+. Even the 4 lane divided state hwys in Iowa are 65. California is all 55 for trucks.
replyreply
Any road out there. Just pretend your the heaviest most tippy load in the world and operate your truck that way. Im not kidding when I say I have heavy haul trucks yelling and mocking me when they pass me. Speed Limits are the absolute highest speed you can travel. Almost every road out there has a speed minimum too. Operating your vehicle anywhere in between is your freedom of choice. The people stacked up behind you have the choice to follow or pass when safe.

If you want less stress, slow down and don't worry so much about other people. Their rush shouldn't be yours. You're out there to make $$, not win the race. Their goals in life are theirs to worry about. 55-60 mph is a good safe $$ making speed when hauling weight.

I also live in a very hilly/mountainous area of the world and doing any speed for very long isn't an option in trucking here. So everyone knows it and reacts accordingly. I have found over the years that out in the flatter parts of the earth, people have a tendency to stay behind me long enough to find a safe place to pass and we all seem to get along. Or at least I have never gotten the middle finger out the sunroof by anyone out there. So either they're just overly polite or they to also understand trucks don't move fast and react appropriately.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55 , Rawze , Brock , quickrigs
Haha we must live in different places for sure! I've been flipped off, had stuff thrown out the window at me and had guys brake check me for actually doing the speed limit!!

Although Alberta is pretty douche baggy at times....

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(11-14-2019 )Brock Wrote:  Haha we must live in different places for sure! I've been flipped off, had stuff thrown out the window at me and had guys brake check me for actually doing the speed limit!!

Although Alberta is pretty douche baggy at times....

You guys (meaning cars) use the shoulder of the highway as an on ramp. I don’t remember where specifically but it’s happened a few times where they’ll be at a red light to turn right, then pull out onto the shoulder get up to speed and merge
Trans Canada highway is where I’ve seen it the most. The first time I had to visually check I had a green light still, that’s how odd it is

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.