Engine brake
11-14-2019, (Subject: Engine brake ) 
Engine brake
2012 cascadia 650,000 miles. 2250. Bypass oil filter and change oil every 10,000 miles. Overhead just done this weekend when we installed new charge air cooler from hitting a deer. Ugh. Everything looked pretty good under cover. Intake and exhaust was pretty close. Jakes was out a little bit. Ok now that info is out there. Engine brake isn’t real strong. Adjustments didn’t help any in the way engine brake works. Now it doesn’t seem to have much of a difference between stage 2-3. The boost does jump up with the change in stages. I think stage 3 is around 25ibs Stage 2 is between 15-18 I think. Don’t use stage 1 cause it’s useless. I was going to replace solenoids while I was doing overhead but nobody had them in stock. Do you think those are the issue? Oo. All stock programming and mandated. Thanks.
replyreply
RE: Engine brake
Did you check the Jake harness out? Could be it is just long in the tooth, and getting in there may have disturbed it when you did the overhead. I would check and or just replace if it is the original, the heat in there eventually destroys them.
replyreply
Yeah. I did look at harness while in there. Although I am not a harness expert lol. Everything actually looked very good. I actually was expecting cam damage and soot everywhere. But all was good looking. Harness looked good to an untrained eye I suppose. But guess I really don’t know.
replyreply
11-15-2019, (Subject: Engine brake ) 
If your truck has tall rears, the engine brake becomes far less effective than it should be.

What is the rear ratio of the truck?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have 3.55
replyreply
If memory serves me right, stage 1 uses only one solenoid. Stage 2 uses both. stage 3 uses both + extra boost pressure.

What you describe almost sounds like its working normal?. mine only makes about 18-20 psi boost on stage 3, but I have CM871.

Did it suddenly change? or always has felt weak to you?

- Have you done a rail leak-down test?. A leaky injector or 2 can make engine brake feel weaker too.

Thought I would also mention for others who might be researching this subject. For those who might be curious ... Adjusting valves improperly will not make it any stronger, should always follow the correct setting. Doing improper valve or engine brake clearance adjustments can also destroy engine at high rpm ranges.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb
Thanks. No. It’s always been like this since I got the truck anyways. I just checked boost at stage 3. 27ibs. I followed your video on overhead with quickserve documents and nom clearances which is the same as 871 minus injector settings of course. I have not done those tests. Thanks for the info.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.