Head Gasket cm2250
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #1
Tongue Head Gasket cm2250
Look's like blown head gasket #6.
Doing the inframe myself, bought a new aftermarket complete head.
Don't have the liners out yet but might have some pitting from coolant side.
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #2
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
(11-16-2019 )keepitrunning Wrote:  bought a new aftermarket complete head.

Your making a HUGE mistake here!! Send that boat anchor back and buy a genuine Cummins head. You WILL regret it if you put that head on your engine. Ask this guy what he thinks about using an aftermarket head http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3217 then jump to this page ( about 18 months later) http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3217&page=45

Also I hope you have a counterbore cutting tool, you'll need to cut your counterbores and shim the new liners up to 14 thousandths.
Are you wondering why it blew a head gasket? I would be,is this engine demandated? If so, by who? If it has a crap program in it all your effort will be for nothing because it will continue to cause engine problems.


User's Signature: Yeah I really am that dumb
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #3
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
It's all stock never been apart and not deleted, has 720000 miles.
Thanks for the tip on the head going to go with Factory.
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #4
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
Can't ask me quite yet haha. Until I tear things down and find out WHAT failed, and WHY, I reserve my personal judgement on everything, even the chinezium head.

Having said that, I don't recommend using one. There's simply too many unknowns for me to even consider reinstalling mine only to have a broken valve destroy a new lower end or a weak spot in the casting cost me more grief in the future.

There's a lot of crap and BS on the internet, and sometimes it's really hard to know what can be trusted, and who is full of it. But you can bank on one thing: If Rawze repeatedly says something is junk, or crap, or not to do such and such, you can trust that he's speaking from first-hand experience, and he's not out to sell you anything or get you to waste money.

After getting the chance to meet Rawze, watch him work, and get to know him a little, I can honestly say that he, and this site, is one in a billion thing. There's no pyramid scheme, no hidden agenda or nefarious angle, and that pretty much anything he tells you concerning these red-headed motors is really for YOUR benefit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Lostfarmboy , Rawze , Waterloo
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #5
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
(11-16-2019 )keepitrunning Wrote:  bought a new aftermarket complete head.

Seen a lot of guys do this. Maybe some of them get lucky and get a good one, who knows ... I personally have not seen anyone with aftermarket head that lasted long time yet. They typically last only about 250k miles or so~ish and have to come off again for one reason or another. - Seen a lot of guys regret it. Is not worth the cost difference if you ask me.

Wen your inframing that engine, you have to do things 100% right + do the things recommended to it from this forum. Otherwise you will be doing it again. Here are some of the highlights...


* New OEM head (not reman or after-market).

* New Overhaul kit (not after-market). Check old liner size/dia. before ordering new kit. It is 60% chance you have 150mm, and 40% chance you have 152mm ... they are NOT compatible with each other. Liner has to be pulled out and measured to find out. 150mm has pink outer o-ring, 152mm has blue outer o-ring typically, but measure to be sure.

* New oil pump.

* Possibly new rockers, cams, etc.

* Another set of new rod/main bearings. Measuring / checking old ones as they come out to ensure they are correct size/clearance. It is random sometimes, the proper one to use/replace with from one engine to the next, and sometimes even from one cylinder to the next sometimes.


* Proper counter-boring and raising liner height to 0.014" minimum. Anything lower than this, it will not have any kind of chance to go a million miles+ the next time around.

* Front gear cover gasket replacement.

* New crank shaft damper if it is more than 400k miles old.

* All new injector fuel connection tubes that go into the head. They are "crush-fit" where they meet injector, cannot be re-used when replacing the head, or swapping the injectors around.

* re-build of the high pressure fuel pump guts if it has more then 400k miles on the components.

etc. etc. etc.

quickserv.com is your friend.


User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #6
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
Thank you very much. My old liners are at .0085
All the way across. Cummins will come out and cut if needed.
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #7
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
(11-16-2019 )keepitrunning Wrote:  ... cut if needed.

IF??>>...

YES,... ABSOLUTELY NEEDED!!!! -- AND RAISED TO 0.014" MINIMUM (after shimming) IF YOU VALUE YOUR ENGINE !


User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #8
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
Because they are all even add a shim?
replyreply
11-16-2019, (Subject: Head Gasket cm2250 ) 
Post: #9
RE: Head Gasket cm2250
Thanks Rawze, I have been a fan of your for a long time. I have rebuilt a out 50 Cats this is the first Cummins, they are not a forgiving as a Cat
replyreply





  
  
Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication