Turbo exhaust leak
11-17-2019, (Subject: Turbo exhaust leak ) 
Turbo exhaust leak
I have a 500 series turbo that is leaking exhaust between the hot housing and the cartridge the seal where the big v clamp is Looked on quick serve but I can’t find a gasket there. I found that clamp was a little loose. I have tightened it but still leaking. I have a little soot on the side of the actuator because that’s where the clamp comes together. I can’t hear anything but I can smell it. Should I just loose it and reset it or is there a gasket there that needs replaced.
replyreply
RE: Turbo exhaust leak
I'd try rotating the clamp, there's no gasket in there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard
Depending on the turbo there might be a gasket I'd check with YTS in Griffin GA
replyreply
Speaking from my own experience.
Some have and some don’t.
It’s kind of hollow cross section metal ring , sitting halfway in groove machined on the mating surface of the turbine housing. When V-clamp is tighten the seal get semi crushed and seals the housing to cartridge. It works really good when there’s some warping on the mating surfaces .
Most likely in later manufacturing process “they”ve decided there’s no need for a seal and skipped the groove and seal all together.
Here’s very important step assembling cartridge to housing!!!
Be sure vg ring and nozzle don’t interfere after tightening V-clamp !

The seal looks very much like flux core mig wire .
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.