AC issue... Compressor on its own schedule.
06-21-2016, (Subject: AC issue... Compressor on its own schedule. ) 
RE: AC issue... Compressor on its own schedule.
Yes, evaporator, tired, been running since yesterday morning... Parts will be there in the morning, I'll be there. There was dye leaking out of the drain line, I'm going to start tearing into it tonight to lessen my bill... Just one week, is that to much to ask to not be in the shop or wrenching on this truck? I will never get anywhere but broke at this rate! Thank God I only have one! Imagine a fleet of this junk? OYE!
replyreply
06-21-2016, (Subject: AC issue... Compressor on its own schedule. ) 
(06-21-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Yes, evaporator, tired, been running since yesterday morning... Parts will be there in the morning, I'll be there. There was dye leaking out of the drain line, I'm going to start tearing into it tonight to lessen my bill... Just one week, is that to much to ask to not be in the shop or wrenching on this truck? I will never get anywhere but broke at this rate! Thank God I only have one! Imagine a fleet of this junk? OYE!

It never ends, that's why we sold the other truck. Between the two there was never any break from having to fix something!

Don't feel like you're the only one. Our truck is back in business (runs awesome, thanks Gearhead!) but two days later blew an air bag on the sleeper.
So much for my plans, drop everything, log more time at the parts counter. That in it's self would be a part time job.

BIG F'N shout out thank you to Peterbilt for changing the nipple from metal to plastic and compression fittings to push to connect!
1 1/8" nut, over torqued it with two fingers and snapped it off! Plastic CRAP! Poof! $70 up in smoke! Good thing I bought 2!
More time at the parts counter, set up and block the other side to replace the replacement! Good thing my time is free......

Don't feel bad, 1 year old Freightliner and my AC took a dump in bumper to bumper traffic two days ago and the only Ryder tech that can fix it is on vacation....
We're in the wrong business.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
06-22-2016, (Subject: AC issue... Compressor on its own schedule. ) 
(06-21-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Found the problem... The AC condenser in the firewall has a hole in it. New one coming in the morning. It never ends.

Great you found the problem Waterloo, I fix mine too I changed the high pressure sensor and we are in business again.
replyreply
(06-21-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  
(06-21-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Yes, evaporator, tired, been running since yesterday morning... Parts will be there in the morning, I'll be there. There was dye leaking out of the drain line, I'm going to start tearing into it tonight to lessen my bill... Just one week, is that to much to ask to not be in the shop or wrenching on this truck? I will never get anywhere but broke at this rate! Thank God I only have one! Imagine a fleet of this junk? OYE!

It never ends, that's why we sold the other truck. Between the two there was never any break from having to fix something!

Don't feel like you're the only one. Our truck is back in business (runs awesome, thanks Gearhead!) but two days later blew an air bag on the sleeper.
So much for my plans, drop everything, log more time at the parts counter. That in it's self would be a part time job.

BIG F'N shout out thank you to Peterbilt for changing the nipple from metal to plastic and compression fittings to push to connect!
1 1/8" nut, over torqued it with two fingers and snapped it off! Plastic CRAP! Poof! $70 up in smoke! Good thing I bought 2!
More time at the parts counter, set up and block the other side to replace the replacement! Good thing my time is free......

Don't feel bad, 1 year old Freightliner and my AC took a dump in bumper to bumper traffic two days ago and the only Ryder tech that can fix it is on vacation....
We're in the wrong business.

It is sad when you can walk into a variety of truck supply/parts houses and they all know you by name... I feel like Norm on Cheers. ;-)
replyreply
(06-22-2016 )RTRUCKING48 Wrote:  
(06-21-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  Found the problem... The AC condenser in the firewall has a hole in it. New one coming in the morning. It never ends.

Great you found the problem Waterloo, I fix mine too I changed the high pressure sensor and we are in business again.

Good deal!
replyreply
06-23-2016, (Subject: AC issue... Compressor on its own schedule. ) 
[quote='Waterloo

It is sad when you can walk into a variety of truck supply/parts houses and they all know you by name... I feel like Norm on Cheers. ;-)
[/quote]

Waterloo , you're probably not in a good mood for a dumb jokes right now .
But I can't help it. Do you look like him? Coz he's really nice character .

If it's not to much trouble , please post a picture of the actual damage.
replyreply
Wiseman, I do not look like Norm, LOL! Nothing really to photograph, no visual sign of a leak other than a minute bit of bright green dye in the evap water coming out of the drain. You really had to get your finger wet to actually see it. So, I suspect it was a solder or weld internally behind the fins that cracked or gave way. I can say, that the evaporator was not the original, as the evap housing was previously opened up. So, someone has been in there previous to me, as it was not the same International version of the evap we installed, same size around the circumference, but slight differences in construction. The one from International was a bit, a smidge wider/thicker, and had a really beefy foam gasket surrounding it, unlike the one we pulled out. The old evap was a bit lose inside of the box, with a very thin outer gasket that was not holding the evaporator securely like the new unit, which is what more than likely led to the failure in my mind. But anyways...

I now have ice cold air blowing in the cab and sleeper. The evaporater was replaced with an OEM version, really not that hard to get to after I saw how it was done. A new OEM expansion valve was installed, new Thermistors, a new OEM high pressure switch and a new OEM pigtail to the switch. All of the O rings were also replaced in the new parts. Previous parts that were replaced, other than the thermistors and high pressure switch, were all aftermarket. The only aftermarket part left on my system is the condenser up front of the radiator which I believe is fine to use. Also, International now has a kit with all of the O rings and other essentials to rebuild the entire AC system. The mechanic gave me the extra O rings and parts to keep if anything else goes teats up.

So far, with the new OEM parts, the expansion valve is quiet, no vibrations or high pressure wailing from it, the engine fan and compressor are working properly. High and low side working properly in regards to pressures. All lines were inspected and pressure tested. It held pressure for well over three hours, pressures never budged. Total was $800 in parts and $300 in labor. I'm not bitching, as the mechanic spent well over 8 hours working on this thing over a two day period, and I was at his side the entire time. Everything was gone through, front to back.

Also, the sleeper blower motor breaker was popping, she was wore out. I replaced that the other night with a 30 amp fuse. The sleeper blower motor was going on and off and then popping the breaker. I had the same issue with the front blower motor last year. Swapping the breaker for a regular fuse solved this problem. Both blowers are new as of last year.

One thing I did find, is that there is a fourth actuator on these ProStars. On the evaporator box, under the hood, next to the water lines going to the heater core is the recirculating blend door actuator. It is a different, heavier duty actuator than the other three found in the cab. There were none in stock anywhere in my area, but an overnight was available from the Chicago warehouse. Mine was working, so we left it alone. But, I know it is there, and how to get to it. The front cowl will need to be removed, along with the windshield wipers as it is right at the top of the Evap box, forward of the firewall. The two heater hoses should be easy enough to work around, MAYBE. The actuator is held on by two torx head screws.

One thing I discovered, is that in my truck, seeing as there is no AC on off switch like in many other trucks and cars, is that to operate the fresh air vent up front, the sleeper temp must be set to hot and the front HVAC control set to vent. If the sleeper HVAC system is set to cold, the AC compressor will run no matter what your front controls are saying and blow cold AC air in through the front vents. This is the goofiest system I have ever come across and fickle as little girl.

Another thing I need to try, is to open the heater core water lines and see if the AC system will be able to cool the cab. Right now, in these high temps, mid 80's, shaking head, I need to close that valve under the hood. But it is annoying as hell, as in the evening and early mornings, I need to open the valve as the AC will ice you out of the cab. I never had to mess with this valve on my other trucks, other than when I was running down south or out in the SW during the summer when the temps were in the high 90's and up with high humidity. Up here in Michigan, I would expect the damn thing to keep the cab cool with that valve open in the low 80 degree temps and low humidity we are having right now.

Oh, the wife is pi$$ed. We are broke and this truck just keeps disappointing. I think I am going to get an EMF detector and sweep the truck in search of any cursed items hiding in it. I'm going to go through the cab again and and see if I missed anything from the previous owner that may carry a curse. I may also call a witch doctor and do the old chicken bones and feather routine on her. The truck, not the wife. ;-)

Wish me luck guys! Freight is moving up here, and I need a few solid weeks without another mechanical failure, or I will be moving in with my mother... And I don't want to do that.
replyreply
I'm with you "Norm" I mean Waterloo ! If anything happens (God forbid) you and your wife are welcome to my house in Las Vegas . My wife is awesome cook. With this new AC you never gonna need a heater at 115*F.
Ha-ha-ha ....witches
Thanks for the info !
replyreply
(06-23-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  I'm with you "Norm" I mean Waterloo ! If anything happens (God forbid) you and your wife are welcome to my house in Las Vegas . My wife is awesome cook. With this new AC you never gonna need a heater at 115*F.
Ha-ha-ha ....witches
Thanks for the info !

Well, it will just be me! The wife is ready to throw both me and the truck out! LOL!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.