Engine Running Hot
06-26-2016, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
RE: Engine Running Hot
Another tip if you guys are having higher than normal operating temps...
I borrowed a buddies refractometer and checked my coolant, it was OFF THE CHART too strong. He told me that very small leaks allow the water to steam away leaving the glycol and other additive in the coolant to remain. The typical response is to top off the coolant with pre-mix, which I do, and the result is the glycol and additives become too concentrated and the coolant become less effective. I had to add 4 gallons of distilled water to 20 gallons of the hi concentrate stuff that was in my system to bring it down to a -35*C blend!
The moral of the story is, if your topping off your coolant regularly, occasionally drop in a gallon of distilled water to keep yourself from my result

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Toolguy
Don't forget about the internal part. I spent yesterday doing a flush with Cummins Restore and replacing coolant with Fleetguard ES Complete.
The flush is an alkaline additive to tap water, dive it around for 60-90 minutes, flush with tap water a few more times, drain and fill with new coolant repalce filter.
Did a nice job cleaning some minor oil residue from inframe out of the surge tank.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
I can tell you , but you already know ! You did the best thing an O/O can do to his engine cooling system !!!!
replyreply
06-27-2016, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
(06-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Don't forget about the internal part. I spent yesterday doing a flush with Cummins Restore and replacing coolant with Fleetguard ES Complete.
The flush is an alkaline additive to tap water, dive it around for 60-90 minutes, flush with tap water a few more times, drain and fill with new coolant repalce filter.
Did a nice job cleaning some minor oil residue from inframe out of the surge tank.

Yes I'm going to run Restore through mine as well. When I popped my rad three years ago in NC, the only one available east of NV was a Detroit Radiator aftermarket one, and they have the wide hood rad listed as a downflow, not a crossflow which it is, so there is no drain plug. I didn't want to run Restore through my system without any way to completely drain the rad as it holds almost 2 gallons below the low hose. I didn't want to have that much residue left over when I refilled the coolant. Rad shop is going to install a properly located drain for me if this one is still solid enough for repair.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
06-27-2016, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
It would be nice to have a lower tank drain petcock. I pulled the lower hose and flushed with hose full blast for about 30 minutes after I drained it down by removing coolant filter.
I wanted to make sure all the alkaline was out so not to through ph, sca balance on new coolant.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
06-30-2016, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
It funny how complicated the cooling system is. I'm happy I was able to skate away with only a wash, and thermostat. 15 gallons of premix looks expensive.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
Ha-ha-ha !!!
Complicated? Definitely NO ! Neglected? Definitely YES !
replyreply
(06-22-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  I do most of our trucks once a year. Some people say to use compressed air. Idk. I use a hot water pressure washer with the water stream goin straight on the fins. Keeps em from bending.. Good call on the t-sat

Nasty! Good call.
replyreply
07-03-2016, (Subject: Engine Running Hot ) 
(06-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Don't forget about the internal part. I spent yesterday doing a flush with Cummins Restore and replacing coolant with Fleetguard ES Complete.

Hey in2, how many times did you "rinse" with straight tap water? The instructions only say once, I did mine 3 times and had a little foaming from the cleaner on the third time. Going to put coolant back in it now.
I don't know about you, but I sure had a hard time dropping operating temperature Restore/water and then refilling shortly with tap water. That seems like way to much of a temperature difference to me! I've only got a small hot water tank here at the shop, so I warmed as much as I could but it didn't like doing that.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.