Help with ISX 15 CM 2250
11-21-2019, (Subject: Help with ISX 15 CM 2250 ) 
Help with ISX 15 CM 2250
I have a Cummins ISX 15 CM 2250 that is leaking a small amount of coolant into oil and burning it through exhaust as well. Under oil filler cap there is a small amount of white milky oil. You can smell the coolant on passenger side of engine as well. Appears to be going through exhaust. Coolant level is dropping slowly. Oil levels are not increasing though. Had it scanned and injector number 3 failed first part of Cummins performance test . Was told by a Cummins rep that it was probably the injector cup that was bad or the egr cooler was going bad. Took tube off that goes up to egr to check for moisture but it is dry. Took valve cover off to look for moisture and milky oil as well. No milky oil but rockers had some rust on them. Cummins has a injector cup repair kit and tool to install these parts but only can be done at Cummins dealer. Told it would run between $3800 - $4400 . I have not done a pressure test. Any suggestions on what I should look at before I dump money into a new head. Thanks
replyreply
RE: Help with ISX 15 CM 2250
Well for starters, how many miles are on it and has it been demandated? Have you pressure tested the egr cooler? https://youtu.be/T6yhOm1oiEc
Thats where I would start. You could also pressure test the head to find out if it is an injector cup. That injector cup repair your talking about isn't a guaranteed fix, in fact If I remember right it's basically a 50/50 shot but you definitely don't have to have the dealer do it and it wouldn't cost anywhere near that price they quoted you.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Afftow
(11-21-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Well for starters, how many miles are on it and has it been demandated? Have you pressure tested the egr cooler? https://youtu.be/T6yhOm1oiEc
Thats where I would start.
Has 365000 miles. Testing right now.
replyreply
remove the oil and drop the oil pan and let it sit over night with 20 psi on the coolant system,.. look for coolant seeping out of the bottom of the cylinder liners next day while turning engine by hand slowly. Find out what cylinder it is.

Cummins injector cups are not meant to be replaceable. By the time you get a leaky cup, the rest of the head is almost always slap worn out any ways. - trying to fix injector cup is a stop-gap measure at best.

LASTLY -- YOUR
TAKING IT TO STEALERSH%IT!!! -- THE WORST PLACE YOU CAN POSSIBLY GO unless you just WANT to be ripped off in return for blind guessing, half-arssed incompetent work, and an empty wallet.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Afftow , JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.