Cm871 coolant out the overflow
11-26-2019, (Subject: Cm871 coolant out the overflow ) 
Cm871 coolant out the overflow
Hello thanks for accepting me to the page I wish I would have found sooner. I have a 2010 389 with a CM871 in it. . I bought the truck in April to replace my 2003 379 that had a 6nz. I've had nothing but trouble with the engine since I bought it.
It started out using a little coolant and blowing white smoke once in a while (egr cooler was leaking) it would even smoke when i turned it off. It looked like I was Bbqing. . It has always run real rough on a cold start up since the day I bought it. Almost like a lope.
I was talked into a delete so I had that done. Complete removal of the dpf, valve and cooler was done by a guy here in north dakota. He has a good reputation and I know guys that have had great performance and no issues with his deletes. A few of them done 4 years ago.
After removing the cooler I have coolant coming out of the overflow on the surge tank only under load. I put a pressure gauge on it at idle and it stayed between 12 and 14 psi for 30 min at 180 degrees. It's still running terrible at cold start until it warms up but has no white smoke or power loss after the delete. It is using a gallon of coolant a day now. I'm figuring head or head gasket and yes I should have just left her stock. 6k later. Lol
Any ideas? we have checked the compressor.
replyreply
RE: Cm871 coolant out the overflow
You'll be looking at a head gasket (dropped liner) or cracked head....Also a serious grilling from Rawze about your EGR cooler removal, lol.

Get it to someone who is an ISX expert or get someone to repair it and have a calibration made remotely by a highly-regarded operator like Unilevers.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , tree98
Return the motor to stock (egr cooler/valve only)_, and get that programming off of the ECM. You have all the symptoms of a blown head gasket or slipped liner. I would say both.

To diagnose: Drop the oil pan, pressurize the motor (coolant system) to 20 psi and bar the motor over. You will need two folks, one barring the motor and one under the truck with a good flashlight. You are looking for coolant on the liner walls. If it is a liner, which I believe it more than likely is, you will in most cases hear the motor gurgle as the motor is barred.

Seeing as you removed the EGR Cooler, I would concentrate on cylinder 5 and 6. The EGR Cooler is what cools those two rear cylinders, no cooling, bad things happen.

You are now a good candidate for an in frame. And when you do, make sure you only use NEW OEM parts, including the head. These ISX heads are one time use and throw away.

You also need the liners set properly which entails machining the block ledge that the liners sit on. You will want to shim the liner height to .014 of an inch.

I would say welcome to the bad delete club.

As Signature said, get ahold of {Unilever, mr.hag, mommaburt, & rawze}. You can PM him, as you are going to need some serious help.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billcummins6 , hhow55 , JMBT
WELCOME TO THE BAD DELETE CLUB!!!!!

YOUR FIRST PROBLEM IS THAT YOU WENT FOR DPF PROBLEMS TO ENGINE BUTCHERING BULLS$IT THAT THESE SHOPS LIKE TO ALL DO!!! -- YOU F#$#KIED UP!!!!!

START BY EDUCATING YOURSELF!!!!!

FIRST AND FOREMOST--- REMOVING THAT EGR COOLER, if they did not use a cross-pipe to allow for proper coolant flow where the cooler used to be (most shops are too stupid to do this the right ways), -- YOU ARE STARVING THE BACK 2 CYLINDERS OF PROPER COOLANT FLOW AND IT WILL GET HOT AND TAKE OUT A LINER AND HEAD GASKET!!! --- AND NOT ONLY THAT --- it will cause the water pump to fail prematurely due to the blocked off port on the back of it making 70+ PSI of dead water pressure in it!... I.E.> -- If you don;t have a bypass pipe installed ... then SOMEONE F$CKLED UP BY REMOVING THAT EGR COOLER OUT OF SHEER IGNORANCE -- I DON'T CARER HOW MUCH THOSE IGNORANT ARSSE-CLOWNS AT THAT SHOP THINK THEY KNOW!!!!!!

NEXT: YOU SHOULD BE SCARED!!! --- REALLY SCARED AT WHAT SOME FFFF MORON HAS DONE TO THE PROGRAMMING IN THAT ECM!!!--- GET THAT PROGRAM COPIED OUT OF THAT THING AND HAVE IT LOOKED AT A.S.A.P FOR CORRECTNESS AND SAFETY --- IT IS THAT IMPORTANT AS 90%+ OF ALL THESE SHOPS OUT THERE DOING THAT TYPE OF WORK ARE ABSOLUTELY FFFki' CLUELESS IGNORANT FOOLS!!!! -- E-MAIL IT TO ME AND I WILL LOOK IT OVER AND TELL YOU WHAT SOMEONE HAS DONE, GOOD, BAD, AND (USUALLY VERY MUCH, ENGINE DESTROYING) UGLY !!!.

--- START READING THE HORROR STORIES... AND START WORRYING!!!
YOUR EDUCATION START HERE!!!...
Here is the last one (cm871) I looked at just not even 4 days ago with someone. A fine example of how badly these things get butchered! - http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid46772

Here is the master collection of victims seen on this forum alone!!!...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255
(denial will only continue to cost you big $$$. Stop being a victim!).

--- LASTLY ..IT BEING A CM871 -- if your even a little bit computer savvy (able to run spreadsheets, install stuff on PC, etc)... YOU COULD HAVE DONE THE WHOLE GODDAMHN JOB YOURSELF -- FOR FREE!!!!! ---- PROPERLY!!! -- I HOPE YOU DID NOT PAY ANY KIND OF BIG $$$ MONEY FOR WHAT THOSE IDIOTS DID TO YOUR $40,000 COMMERCIAL ENGINE!!! -- WHAT A WASTE!!!

You have had nothing but problems out of that engine and truck -- BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT EDUCATED YOURSELF ON HOW TO RUN AND MAINTAIN ONE PROPERLY AND HAVE DOEN NOTHING BUT RELYING ON IDIOTS SO FAR!!!

THAT CM871 IS THE MOST PROFITABLE ENGINE A PERSON CAN OWN RIGHT NOW...NOTHING CAN TOUCH IT ON LONG TERM PROFITABILITY, FUEL MILEAGE, ETC. WITH SOME PROPER EDUCATION, MAINTENANCE, AND OVERALL CARE !!!. -- STOP ABUSING IT AND TAKING TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO WORK ON IT!!! -- GRAB A WRENCH AND GET BRAVE AND TAKE YOUR PROBLEMS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS AND SIOPP THE ENDLESS BLEEDING!!!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-4 this is the 1st Cummins I have owned and got sold a line of bullshit. I have a good Cummins guy going to diagnose the motor tomorrow.
replyreply
(11-26-2019 )Billcummins6 Wrote:  10-4 this is the 1st Cummins I have owned and got sold a line of bullshit. I have a good Cummins guy going to diagnose the motor tomorrow.

get the program copied out of the ecm and e-mail it to me while your at it. That would be a good place to start along with ...

pressurize the coolant system to 20 psi and let it sit over night with the oil pan off it.

and...

taking some pics of the exhaust side of engine and intake side and posting them here.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Hopefully he knows his way around a motor... More than a few horror stories of the knowledgable cummins mechanics on here. Happened to me, installed all wrong internal parts, cams, injectors etc. They did not machine the block to set the liners, even though they assured me they did... That cost $38,000 with some other work... The motor made it 70,000 miles and blew a liner. This time, I took the truck to GA, Rawze's driveway, from up here in Detroit. We discovered all of the botched workmanship along with the incorrect parts. We rebuilt that motor in Rawze's driveway, did it right this time. Be careful where you take your truck.

Trust me, we are here to help.
replyreply
don't know of 2 many ppl who would help a guy inframe an engine for free. I think that says a lot.

User's Signature: my wisdom is small. my heart is big. my love for trucking is somewhere in between.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Nostalgic
(11-26-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-26-2019 )Billcummins6 Wrote:  10-4 this is the 1st Cummins I have owned and got sold a line of bullshit. I have a good Cummins guy going to diagnose the motor tomorrow.

get the program copied out of the ecm and e-mail it to me while your at it. That would be a good place to start along with ...

pressurize the coolant system to 20 psi and let it sit over night with the oil pan off it.

and...

taking some pics of the exhaust side of engine and intake side and posting them here.
Will do thanks
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.