Fuel Pump Leak
11-25-2019, (Subject: Fuel Pump Leak ) 
Fuel Pump Leak
I'm hoping someone has experienced this issue before, 2011 Int'l Prostar with cm871. I have a fuel leak coming from somewhere on the fuel pump. I only see it leaking when the engine is running and it looks like it's coming from near the filter housing. I can't really see exactly where it's coming from but it's steady. Just changed my fuel filter and that's when I spotted the leak.
replyreply
RE: Fuel Pump Leak
Post some photos. There's plenty of things around there that could leak fuel.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo
i just replaced the guts inside the fuel dampeners, its most likely leaking from there. tho photo's would make this easier to diagnose.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
11-27-2019, (Subject: Fuel Pump Leak ) 
It's difficult to take pics around the fuel pump area, so much stuff in the way to really see the leak. I think the leak is coming from the damper above the filter housing. Do I need to remove the fuel pump to change out the damper?
replyreply
theres something like 5 or 6 bolts and 3 fuel lines to disconnect and some electrical connectors then off the engine the whole IFSM comes.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(11-27-2019 )rapidisimo Wrote:  It's difficult to take pics around the fuel pump area, so much stuff in the way to really see the leak. I think the leak is coming from the damper above the filter housing. Do I need to remove the fuel pump to change out the damper?

It looks like a lot of work but it really isn't. you're going to need to the IFSM gasket, the guts for the damper and the two little orings behind the damper. they need to replaced other wise the damper will leak again, like it did on mine. Also you'r going to need to get the gasket for the intake manafold gasket so you can move the IFSM out of the way properly, make sure you disconnect all the fuel lines and connections before hand.

I would get the quick disconnect fitting that connects to the IFSM so you can drain out any and all air out of the system while you are priming the IFSM. I usually just do it until i don't see any air bubbles in mine, i believe its okay to see champne size air bubbles. Someone here can correct me if im wrong. Then prime the system 3-10 times then try to turn the truck on. If it doesnt start prime it couple of more times and hold it a little while longer. You shouldn't have any issues turning the truck over after doing that. its going to sound ruff at first but it should smooth its self out shortly after. I've done this so far 3 times and its so easy, i can do it with my eyes closed.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , rapidisimo
also to note, a stealership wanted 2.5k+ to fix this issue for me.... i saved that money and spent it else where on the motor

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , rapidisimo , Andre_The_Giant , tree98 , Waterloo , hhow55
I agree with Evotrucker , just start tearing that IFSM off. its not as hard as it looks. Just be sure to register your engine serial number on Cummins quick-serve website (for free) and get all of the torque specs to put it back together. All of the gaskets are cheep

User's Signature: I may be cross eyed, but i don’t cross thread
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo , Rawze , tree98 , Waterloo , hhow55
12-13-2019, (Subject: Fuel Pump Leak ) 
Update, so I took the Trk to the dealer because I was curious what kind of estimate I would get. I got an estimate of approx. $1500, unbelievable, they said the entire ifsm needed to come off and be resealed. Obviously I refused to pay that so I found the leak myself and it was the fuel shutoff valve leaking. I purchased a new valve from cummins, approx. $100 with new orings, replaced it (about 30mins of work) and leak is gone. These dealers are completely ridiculous. How they take advantage of us drivers is sad. Thank all you guys for your input and giving me the courage to rectify this problem myself and save me a shi#t load of cash.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Andre_The_Giant

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.