Identify this part
06-21-2016, (Subject: Identify this part ) 
Identify this part
Can anyone identify or give me the name of this part???
It's mounted on the side of the starter solenoid alongside the frame. I know its part of the solenoid but I need to know what it's called. The new starter I bought didn't include this part and it looks toast to me so I'm going to replace it too.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201606/post_132_1466524918_3b5839448cf58ff3de8421da3aa28d4c.jpg./uploads/201606/post_132_1466524896_73c7c9218b62cb0ff0696e114833f51e.jpg
replyreply
RE: Identify this part
thats the low voltage disconnect on a 38MT starter. ever hear a click when starting it? thats that thing cutting out due to low voltage.

i personally remove them and run without them as they are a pain in the ass.
replyreply
Yes,it's clicking and nothing else.
I had to pull start the truck this morning . I jumped the starter but only got a grunt and lots of fireworks.
Peterbuilt gave me the wrong starter.
I think that it's shorted internal. It's been acting up for about a week.
Turn the key and it clicks but nothing else, turn it a second time and it usually will go but not today. I'm
Intrested in bypassing that thing if you can give me more details please. Thanks. I haven't put the starter in yet.
replyreply
06-22-2016, (Subject: Identify this part ) 
Ya,I think mine is bad as well.I had one battery go bad in January just before getting tuned,then two weeks ago changed the other three but it still has that occasional click with no crank.More details would be great,thanks.
replyreply
could be a loose or corroded ground wire. check the ground wire that connects to the frame there by the starter on the outside of the frame. and agree with unilever, they are a pain in the ASS.
replyreply
(06-21-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  thats the low voltage disconnect on a 38MT starter. ever hear a click when starting it? thats that thing cutting out due to low voltage.

i personally remove them and run without them as they are a pain in the ass.

I have not looked at mine closely,what does deleting entail ?
replyreply
removing it makes the starter act like a old 42mt in a older truck. if the batteries are low it will just turn over slow but will not click. its too prevent you from roasting your starter from amp draw due to low cranking speed.

to remove it literally unbolt it from the starter and its wiring and toss it in the bush. Run the ignition/crank wire that used to go into it into a relay and use that to control the crank power to the solenoid on the starter. Most trucks have low amp wiring to this these days so running the ignition crank wire right to the starter will just result in a no crank situation - use a relay.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.