X15 questions
01-23-2021, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
RE: X15 questions
(01-23-2021 )JimT Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 )Camstyn Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think I could get away with a single axle tractor, I need all the traction I can get. An aero day cab may be in my future though, I’ll have to rent one again for more than one trip to verify the results that I found.

So as someone who drove single axle tractors for nearly a decade (LTL up in New England, USA) I can say from experience that it's exactly the opposite. The single axle is MUCH better traction than a tandem, especially when you're on the lighter side. It's because all the weight is always on the one axle as opposed to being spread between 2 axles. With a tandem axle you're more likely to loose traction on one of the axles causing you to get stuck easier. Inter-Axle lock and Power Divider Lock helps on a tandem, but PDL is rarely needed on a single axle.

Remember, whether you have a single or tandem axle, under normal driving conditions power is only being applied to the ground via one side of one axle at any given time.

So, if your loads are ALWAYS under the weight threshold then a single axle is a great option. Great traction, less weight, less parts to maintain, less tires to buy and a shorter wheelbase (depending how you spec it).

I’ll have to check my weights and see if it’s actually doable. I rarely cross any scales and when I do I’m usually empty. We’re allowed 9100kg up here on a single axle. I’m sure I am heavier than that on my tandems but a single axle day cab would be a lot lighter back there.

I know I could definitely lose an axle on the trailer, which I’d love to do, but it’s not my trailer and it is part of a national fleet of identically specced 53’ tandem vans so it’s just not going to happen.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.