X15 questions
12-05-2020, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
RE: X15 questions
(12-05-2020 )AKDoug Wrote:  I guess I'll follow this one closely and contribute if I can. I have a new T880 with a 500hp productivity X15 in it. I'm leaving it stock for now. Put the first thousand miles on it this week. Most days are 200 miles of highway with 40 miles of city driving, 5 to 7 stops at warehouses, towing a 48' dry van, average 70K gross.

1000 miles is no measure of fuel mileage, but we're at 5.1mpg hand calc'd. That's a bit better than my '06 International 9400 with 565hp CM870 and '01 379 Pete with 600hp CM570. All with 18 speed manuals.

If me, I would leave the truck alone and keep up on the EGR system, change the sensors on a predetermined basis, bake and de-ash cans when time, nox sensors, SCR, etc. With good maintenance there is no reason these motors cannot go the long haul. It is when the systems are totally neglected is when they have issues. Sadly, no one stresses this point, nor will the dealers tell you this either, they just want to replace turbos and EGR coolers for the big bucks vs a $50 sensor. And no lugging, keep the RPM's up, over that 1500 so as not to damage a liner. Also, do not idle if at all possible, these motors are not designed to idle, that is where the carbon packing comes into play. Get an APU if need be.

Also, I would pop the top on that motor of yours and do a proper overhead. I bet it is out of spec, Cummins seems to have abandoned any QC they once had.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(12-05-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(12-05-2020 )AKDoug Wrote:  I guess I'll follow this one closely and contribute if I can. I have a new T880 with a 500hp productivity X15 in it. I'm leaving it stock for now. Put the first thousand miles on it this week. Most days are 200 miles of highway with 40 miles of city driving, 5 to 7 stops at warehouses, towing a 48' dry van, average 70K gross.

1000 miles is no measure of fuel mileage, but we're at 5.1mpg hand calc'd. That's a bit better than my '06 International 9400 with 565hp CM870 and '01 379 Pete with 600hp CM570. All with 18 speed manuals.

If me, I would leave the truck alone and keep up on the EGR system, change the sensors on a predetermined basis, bake and de-ash cans when time, nox sensors, SCR, etc. With good maintenance there is no reason these motors cannot go the long haul. It is when the systems are totally neglected is when they have issues. Sadly, no one stresses this point, nor will the dealers tell you this either, they just want to replace turbos and EGR coolers for the big bucks vs a $50 sensor. And no lugging, keep the RPM's up, over that 1500 so as not to damage a liner. Also, do not idle if at all possible, these motors are not designed to idle, that is where the carbon packing comes into play. Get an APU if need be.

Also, I would pop the top on that motor of yours and do a proper overhead. I bet it is out of spec, Cummins seems to have abandoned any QC they once had.
I plan on leaving it alone. Driver has been instructed to drive it in the 1400 range and not to idle. I'll get signed up for Quickserve on this one and see the overhead procedure since it's going to be completely different than the CM870.
replyreply
I have 225k on my truck 2020 Volvo VNL860 with an X15 performance 505HP tuned by a former member on here still mandated at around 150k miles 13 speed manual with 3.36 rears and 22.5low pros averaging 6.5 mpg last trip running 60-75mph from Chicago to the PNW pulling a reefer at varying gross weights, idling is kept to an absolute minimum tripac and bunk heater equipped, EGR tuneup and overhead is done yearly, PM's are done every 12-14k miles with no oil consumption, DPF regens every 100 hours with the pressure difference no more then 2 inhg. DO NOT negelict on rebuilding the fuel pump every 400k miles, they still can and will still fail!!! They actually have multiple TSB's to address air in the fuel system you should do to hopefully minimize their failure rate if yours isn't equipped already..

Just depends on your operation, slower is better but sometimes prohibitive especially with covid going on and the food/sanitary supplies being disrupted in some regions. Don't lug the engine below 1400 or even 1500rpm because you'll be overhauling it under 500k miles. Heck I could be on that path for all I know it or maybe a million mile truck unlikely but you have to be financially prepared for anything.. Most importantly make sure the truck is properly spec'd for the application before you buy one..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
12-14-2020, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
That’s what I tell my guys x15 is still seem mid stop liner design, I don’t recommend running under 1500 rpm if you have 1850 torque and above and are hauling heavy, they do seem to slightly have more compression ratio then cm2350 isx15/cm2250 isx15, I was told cam profile is different along with pistons and injectors, I’m talking about performance series here, one thing for sure, I can’t see them living those liners I mean if you run stock timing and do the off-road demandate, the combustion recipe is a LOT Different with egr to calm it down, pure air is a lot more volitle then egr/air mix, and with these newer higher compression higher egr flow engines it’s a delicate subject to do, doable yes I think for sure but it takes testing and trials
replyreply
12-15-2020, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
I am looking at buying a 2015 16 or 17 international prostar with the Cummins isx 15
good idea or bad? trucks have from 350000 to 45000
Is international a good truck?
replyreply
12-15-2020, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
(12-15-2020 )cowboy823 Wrote:  I am looking at buying a 2015 16 or 17 international prostar with the Cummins isx 15
good idea or bad? trucks have from 350000 to 45000
Is international a good truck?

you need to consider more than just the enigne and brand of truck. Proper rear ratios and everything else vs. the type of trucking operations you plan on using it for.

Does not good to buy a truck with tall engine-killing rears if Ya got to inframe it a year or 2 after purchase because it has been lugged to death its whole life below 1500rpm's ... and loose fuel efficiency like mad with it because its spec'd wrong.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-04-2021, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
(12-05-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Also, I would pop the top on that motor of yours and do a proper overhead. I bet it is out of spec, Cummins seems to have abandoned any QC they once had.

My boys ran the overhead today. Found the number 6 exhaust valve at .020", every other one was within .001" of the re-set value. Good learning experience for them.
./uploads/202101/post_5256_1609814905_70243a6310b394ff0fb397a947a9d7f3.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792
01-05-2021, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
(12-02-2019 )Unilevers Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 )03maxpower Wrote:  Only problem I am having is fuel mileage isn’t good but we are still working with the tuning.

so just to clarify for everyone as this is misleading, yes hes one of our customers. there is a reason for the fuel mileage.

This truck in question is tuned very high power ~340mg/stroke. This truck is in the 600hp to the ground (700+ crank HP) range. Obviously I/we dont want it this high but its not our truck, and the owners knows and wants it there.

It is also not driven 55MPH for any kind of mileage, and it shows. Its driven on cruise at 70-75mph which is fine again not our decision. Each to their own.

All the facts must be said if your going to post reviews on fuel mileage.
I need to start by saying that I'm not judging anyone. But I have to ask does anyone know how this particular X15 is one year later. Being that they wanted it turned up so high and seems like it was ran pretty hard. I'm just curious if anyone knows about it.
replyreply
01-05-2021, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
(01-05-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  I need to start by saying that I'm not judging anyone. But I have to ask does anyone know how this particular X15 is one year later. Being that they wanted it turned up so high and seems like it was ran pretty hard. I'm just curious if anyone knows about it.

the guy will be lucky to get 400k miles out of it before it needs $25,000 worth of work done ti it... Truck will not make it much longer before it starts falling apart too... gotta love those super-truckers! (Stupid-Truckers!).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.