An inframe in my near future
11-29-2019, (Subject: An inframe in my near future ) 
RE: An inframe in my near future
Fix the forklift, jerky is the last thing you will want, especially when setting the head. Oh, Cummins makes a special head lifting tool/bracket. You could probably make one, as you will need one to properly set the head. It is a three piece bracket that bolts to the head. It is not cheap, so if your buddy does not have one, I would see about borrowing or renting one from one of the local shops, they may help you out, as Cummins wants stupid money for one of those brackets.

The oil fill: If you look in QuickServe, it shows the best spot to plug the pump into, it is right there near the oil filter on that formed piece that runs the length of the motor if my memory is working. You can see the available ports if you look real close, they screw in using an allen socket... A simple brass NPT fitting will work as a fitting for the fill tube.

I filled the oil pump with gear lube when I installed it.

As far as paint primer, I did use the Home Depot stuff, the high heat dark gray and used that on the oil pan, over a few coats of POR 15 and then two top coats of the Cummins red paint. That is about the only place I used a primer on the motor, and that is holding up well.

The paint though, again, use Cummins brand, it is not cheap, around $25 a can, but goes a long way. It is loaded with acetone and some other chemicals, it really locks on to the the surface you apply it too. I sprayed my head with it, no primer, and it is still intact on the surface, no bubbling or peeling. Once it is on, the only thing taking it off is more acetone. Just clean the parts using acetone, and that paint is not coming off.

And if you get that forklift sorted out, and have the tool to cut the block, brother go for it. I was nervous as hell when I arrived at Rawze's with my truck, but after a bit, it was like F it, let's do this. So far, the motor is doing fantastic, I had a slight front cover leak, so removed the cover and found nothing out of the ordinary, so I installed a new gasket with a tiny amount of Red RTV (Permatex Red Gasket in a small tube) and that solved that issue.

But, now I have oil coming out of the oil filler neck where it screws into the front plate of the motor, and I did install a new gasket in there... I think I may need a new filler tube piece down there at the front cover, it is plastic, and from the heat, I am sure it has lost some of its form after 11 years... So far that is it... More age of the parts than anything. Like I said earlier, really look at the parts, some are just going to have to be replaced, if for nothing else their age or rust.

And anti-sieze, use it liberally when putting things back together.

And the head bolts, I would buy all new ones too, they are stretch bolts, and are supposed to be one time use, so add that to your list. And don't be shocked that after removing your exhaust manifold that it may be a bit toasty. I had to replace mine too along with the bolts, those are supposed to be one time use too, the manifold bolts, not the manifold.

If you do have to replace the manifold, it comes in sections with steel gaskets. We ran it up to Mr Haggs, and one of the guys installed those gaskets for us using a socket and a mallet. I forget the size of the socket, but it did the trick. Just pay attention as to which way you install the gaskets, it is easy to install them backwards. Assemble on a level surface, as it is in sections, and needs to mate to the motor perfectly.

As far as the cutting the block, take your time and measure frequently, just make sure you use a mechanical gauge that uses the old school dial, not the digital readout. I am having a brain fart on the gauge we used, Rawze would be a good one to ask, I am sure he has a link to what we used in his Amazon link at the top of the page. VERY IMPORTANT you use the correct gauge and leveling blocks! Do not cheap out on this step!

You should be good, get the fork lift sorted out and have at it. Like I said, it can be a bit nerve racking at first, but once you get it apart and label everything, and take pictures too, lots of pictures for reference when reinstalling all of the parts and pieces, you should be fine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Andre_The_Giant
11-29-2019, (Subject: An inframe in my near future ) 
RE: An inframe in my near future
You could always use a small chain fall hanging from the forks to lower the head very gently onto the block.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chai...t-996.html

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.