An inframe in my near future
11-27-2019, (Subject: An inframe in my near future ) 
An inframe in my near future
06 KW, T800, mandated ISX870, Tri axle dump. (local deliverys)

Skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to hear a long story, but can help with your knowledge.

A little background-
I purchased the truck used from my father in April of 2017. With about 370k mi?/ 21k Hrs?. It now has 475,000mi./25,000 HRs. I bought the truck being told it could potentially last to 1 million miles or so... For whatever reason my father is convinced hours do not matter... SMH
At the time I didn’t know any better, and i assumed the same.

I just recently discovered Rawze’s amazing website and videos. And find it safe to say when it comes to Engine Hours, that is not the case.. I try to make ALL my own repairs, installed recommended gauges, did the EGR tune up, and starting drive as advised, Although I’ve always considered myself a safe slow driver, I now pay way more attention to fuel consumption.

I wish I knew then what I do now. I’m still very grateful for my father showing me the ropes and selling me his truck. But I wish I planed for an old engine right away. He did not give me the truck, I took a loan out to purchase it from him. He used the money to put a down payment on a brand new one. And still maintains his new truck by the miles, not hours...smh

I haven't been unable to convince him to change his stubborn ways. But enough about that,

My issue

My truck had an leaking injector for years now. (started when he owned it) And he was told by someone that it wasn’t a big deal. So at the time, I assumed the same. Don’t fathers know best?

Symptoms included random vapor-lock when making hot start-ups, very very slightly lower then normal power when pulling hills loaded, random rough idle from time to time and fuel tank becoming pressurized every now and then (he always blamed a bad tank vent) None of these things seem'd like a big deal to him, it didn’t do it all the time... The truck was still drive able and seemed reliable. So i believed the same

Up until about a couple months ago, when my truck started to smoke a bit more under load (and lose more power) I assumed that maybe an injector “finally crapped out” so I began to do research on how to test and replace them. Which is when I found Rawze’s injector test video, over head set video, EGR tune up, Quick-serve etc..

After I did an EGR tune up, and an overhead set, inspected cam lobes etc. I found the injector in cylinder num. 1 failed a Leak test, and all others passed. So I changed the bad one. Easy fix right? Wrong. The truck still smokes and has low power under heavy acceleration(with a load on). So I did the leak test again, this time all cylinders passed. Now what?

I bought a Snap on bore-scope tool to inspect each chamber.. I looked into cylinder num. 1 and found the sad sight of a slightly melted piston =(
./uploads/201911/post_4399_1574901759_2ee385a6d76c26cae36d3cbe2d346dd9.jpg./uploads/201911/post_4399_1574901858_361ebfccadcdd94bc1cb6cd72edcfcc5.jpg./uploads/201911/post_4399_1574902364_f3eb03049fc5a1a05a53c79e2118e459.jpg

Slightly leaking oil also it seems..I’m assuming the bad injector caused this? but I’m not an expert

Cylinders 2-3 looked pretty normal, with some signs of age. I didn't continue to 4-6. ./uploads/201911/post_4399_1574901938_8f7dec560092e46529b7ef4b9ab05c96.jpg./uploads/201911/post_4399_1574902011_4c3c942b3d360abb6b8e7b9bb8ce8db3.jpg

Sadly It looks like I need to plan a rebuild/ Inframe in the near future. Which sucks because the truck isn’t even paid off until April. I’m going to try and drive it “as is” for now, and hope for the best. Going as easy as possible..

I'm curious about the pros and cons of driving it like this. And was hoping to find some answers to some probably dumb questions. Like, what other components do I risk damaging? If I were to rebuild the engine wouldn’t we put all new internals anyway? Or do I run the risk or ruining the block? Should I go back in with the borescope tool and try to take more pics of anything specific? Should I preform anymore tests on the engine? should I stop driving it and get it rebuilt ASAP? There is some air coming out of the oil fill cap, but no smoke or oil spray. The truck doesn’t leave the state (Connecticut) so if a break down occurs it’s not a big deal. Hopefully I can get a second loan, or at least be able to put all the parts on a credit card to pay later. Is there a ballpark inframe $ number?

I want to personally thank everyone on this site for so much useful information. I am truly blessed we are full of active, knowledgeable members. I would be so lost right now if it wasn't for the information on here.

Hopefully my pictures and story help someone else one day, on things to look out for (such as high engine hours) And also not to let an injector leak very long if you think one is. (If that’s really what caused this) Also, even that your dad can be wrong LMAO just kidding.

Skip to here-

But the Most important question... how should I go about my overdue engine rebuild? I’ll be working outside, next to a double car garage for lots of bench room. I should be able to remove most things myself. I have a friend who can help me with the gears and static timing part. He has the pullers and wedges. But I don’t feel confident enough to counter bore the block. Nor do I want it done in the elements. Do any reliable company’s offer long blocks? Or short blocks with a core refund? I do want a brand new head, my cams and rockers are smooth but discolored. Should I re-use them? I will be spending a lot more time on here, reading and trying to educate myself. Is there a ballpark inframe $ number?

Thank you to everyone on here, your time is very much appreciated

User's Signature: I may be cross eyed, but i don’t cross thread
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
An inframe in my near future - Andre_The_Giant - 11-27-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.