05 VNL hood repair
11-28-2019, (Subject: 05 VNL hood repair ) 
05 VNL hood repair
I’ve been having issues with my passenger side hood latching completely since I got the truck.

After finally getting down and figuring out why it won’t close properly I’ve found the cause....

Looks like who ever patched it up the first time did such a shity job at adding the fiber glass to the joints where the damage was done did it on a whim...

How would you guys go about doing this kind of work? I’ve never actually Done any body work before but it can’t be as complicated as any of the other stuff I’ve done...

So here are some pictures. Tell me what you guys would do.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)
./uploads/201911/post_3477_1574989766_b2b423543797a7081b72c8fa0e59375c.jpeg

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
11-28-2019, (Subject: 05 VNL hood repair ) 
RE: 05 VNL hood repair
I am no professional at it, but I am not half bad, can do it at least the right ways.

Its fairly easy to fix fibreglass hoods. I have fixed mine many times in the past, even once from major deer strike took out whole front of it into pieces. I have also shown many people on theirs how to do themselves who have come here.

The tricks are...

* properly grind out the area to be patched before laying in any new fibreglass. there is a certain method for this and if not done in a certain way, the patch will not hold properly.

* Using multiple layers of painters tape on one side as a backing across all gaps to lay the new glass into.

* using the right type of matting. For hoods, random, rough matting is best type. It gives strength in all directions and is same style as hood was made of originally.

* NOT using too much resin. this is most people's mistake. -- Too much resin == the repair will not have enough give to it and it cracks again later.

------------------------------
-- Grinding out the area properly is the biggest mistake ppl make when doing repairs and it will not hold for s$it if this is not done right. I am not talking about getting it clean (that is easy to figure out),.. but about the proper angles, shape of the grind, etc.

-- Next is too much resin, and it cracks again later under any kind of stress.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker
12-02-2019, (Subject: 05 VNL hood repair ) 
(11-28-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  I am no professional at it, but I am not half bad, can do it at least the right ways.

Its fairly easy to fix fibreglass hoods. I have fixed mine many times in the past, even once from major deer strike took out whole front of it into pieces. I have also shown many people on theirs how to do themselves who have come here.

The tricks are...

* properly grind out the area to be patched before laying in any new fibreglass. there is a certain method for this and if not done in a certain way, the patch will not hold properly.

* Using multiple layers of painters tape on one side as a backing across all gaps to lay the new glass into.

* using the right type of matting. For hoods, random, rough matting is best type. It gives strength in all directions and is same style as hood was made of originally.

* NOT using too much resin. this is most people's mistake. -- Too much resin == the repair will not have enough give to it and it cracks again later.

------------------------------
-- Grinding out the area properly is the biggest mistake ppl make when doing repairs and it will not hold for s$it if this is not done right. I am not talking about getting it clean (that is easy to figure out),.. but about the proper angles, shape of the grind, etc.

-- Next is too much resin, and it cracks again later under any kind of stress.

Sorry for the late reply rawze but I wanted to come back with to you once I was done. I wish I found this out earlier this year maybe in the spring or summer time, I could have done this over the weekend vs doing it in the winter...

Here are some pictures, it’s my first time working with fiber glass and I tried to do my best and learn as I was going. I’m hoping this will last until I get another good once I get back to work. This old one is on its last legs... tell me how I did lol. I know it’s shi#t but hopefully it will do its job. Watched a couple of YouTube videos and went on from there.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
Just fixed my hood in the same exact spot opposite this past summer.

Only use marine grade epoxy resin!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...1946370391

Also use 1708 fiberglass.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2737340314

Build it up in layers and along with using the resin in around 70 degree temps for best results!

Sorry for the dirt and salt/brine that plague my truck already this year. I only did a little sanding as this is a truck built for work! not show and tell.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker , tree98
Looks good!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Evotrucker
(12-02-2019 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  Just fixed my hood in the same exact spot opposite this past summer.

Only use marine grade epoxy resin!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...1947117608

Also use 1708 fiberglass.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2737340314

Build it up in layers and along with using the resin in around 70 degree temps for best results!

Sorry for the dirt and salt/brine that plague my truck already this year. I only did a little sanding as this is a truck built for work! not show and tell.

I just went to oriellys and got the resin and fiber glass lol the omni direction type since that was the best for my situation.. I used a lot of layers in the area's where it mattered the most. I'm going to sand it and cut of the ruff edges tomorrow to make it look a little better. i screwed in some home depot metal plates on the sides since they were both tore the hell up.

also someone put in a 2x6 or 2x4 inside of the good and used some kind of bolts lol....

yours look a hole lot better then my sloop job LOL!. im hoping its not going to crack apart like damn cracker... hopefully i have enough and not to much.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.