Fuel pressure and restriction test
12-07-2019, (Subject: Fuel pressure and restriction test ) 
RE: Fuel pressure and restriction test
What’s the difference between suction and pressure? That’s two different words for the same thing...?

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
Suction is a vacuum reading. Pressure is a positive reading.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck
That makes sense

So why does the pressure gauge needle bounce so bad? Do you average the middle of the bounce to guess at the pressure?

replyreply
gear pumps atleast the ones ive worked with work with 2 gears spinning together when the teeth on the gears come together they create a seal that forces whatever its pumping to move so your constantly getting pulses of fuel from the gear pump not a consistant flow like you would see from a cars fuel pump. that is why the needle is bouncing.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck
Alright, thanks.

So other than slightly high restriction on that top suction side port, everything looks normal?

replyreply
that isnt showing restriction the gear pump is sucking the fuel from the fuel tanks to itself there is going to be negative pressure on that port as its pulling the fuel through the fuel filter. if you wanted to see restriction you would have a gauge at that top port and then another gauge before the fuel filters between filters and tank that would tell you your true fuel restriction upto the pump by measure the true resistance of the fuel filters.

lets just say with 3/4inch fuel lines going from tanks to gear pump and for this lets say there are no fuel filters. lets say there is 3 gallons of fuel from the pump suction to the suction in the fuel tank the gear pump is going to create close to the weight of the fuel in suction vacuum to get that fuel from the tank to the pump add in filters and now you would probably add another 10-15% additional vacuum with clean filters.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
If it’s measuring a vacuum then how come the resistance gauge is measuring pressure, not vacuum?

replyreply
how long after turning the key on did you take the reading? if the electric pump was still running that would explain a positive reading there.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
Ooohhh so turn the key on, when the lift pump stops, fire the motor and retest...? I went back and re-read the steps and it is saying 6 inches vacuum with a clean filter, and 12 with. Aa dirty one.

I honestly can’t remember how long it was running before I started testing, but I know I did the bottom one first

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.