2011 Cummins ISX15 engine derated
02-26-2016, (Subject: 2011 Cummins ISX15 engine derated ) 
RE: 2011 Cummins ISX15 engine derated
(02-25-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  Have the codes read by someone then go from there. This will point you in the right direction trust me.

I just helped someone with their truck that they had into the dealer many times over for repeating DPF and SCR issues. they spent more than 20,000 in repairs with no solid results.

Here is what we found... the truck owner claims it came straight form the dealer in chacago (name removed), and on its 1,000 mile journey, all the problems came right back again for the 4th time. Truck was purchased used (450k miles) a few months back and had nothing but problems. the guy could hardly make any money it was down so much.

This person had ALL the sensors changed, including the NOx sensors. They also did a thorough EGR tune-up, replacing every EGR related sensor on the motor and cleaning out every pipe. The dealer changed the EGR valve and turbocharger as well trying to solve this with no results.

There are a few guys over on other auto/truck forums that call me a "shade tree truck stop tuner", so let me tell everyone what my shade-tree redneck back-yard half-asse*d ways found (btw I don't do truck stop tuning).

ALL of the joints in the in the DPF, SCR, and other piping were missing all the gaskets. Dried and crystallized SCR fluid was seeping heavily out of several of them. All the joints between the components were leaking badly. there were also 2 joints so loose, you could wiggle the exhaust pipes back and fourth easily. - Can anyone say "Death in your sleep by carbon-monoxide poisoning?" It is a good thing this guy does not idle all night while he sleeps.

This alone would be bad enough for the system to not work properly, but there was another problem, and was likely the culprit since the purchase of the truck. Even with the system running, the NOx levels were being flagged all the time out the rear sensor. The truck was not using excess DEF fluid, and the sprayer, filter, pump, everything was in good shape. We even tested the spray pattern on the injector. There was no "Volcano" built up inside the doser pipe (common problem), and everything looked good. That is, until we discovered the DOC was an after-market can, not an original factory component. it was unable to reduce NOx properly, and had larger than normal holes in it. Looking at it, and its different shade of color,.. I highly doubt it even had the precious metals required for it to perform its functions.

Can anyone say "Chineese Fake?" - That is what I am suspecting.

Just thought I would share that with those who are having repeating problems, but even this driver redneck of a shade-tree mechanic knows that a truck dealer or certified shop should AT THE VERY LEAST! be putting gaskets in the exhaust joints on this stuff, and checking the components to see if their fake!.

What a shame.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Starlight , Old Driver

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2011 Cummins ISX15 engine derated - Rawze - 02-26-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.